Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
klaus114
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Backup with Veeam Backup & Replication failed

Post by klaus114 »

Hi all,

the Backup of a guest failed since 5 days on one of my hosts.

The eventlog says:
ID 8229
A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f3. The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried the error is likely to reoccur. Changes that the writer made to the writer components while handling the event will not be available to the requester. Check the event log for related events from the application hosting the VSS writer
Veeam says:
Processing finished with errors at 14.04.2016 04:12:49 Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT'. Vss error: '0x800423f3' --tr:Failed to verify writers state. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks. Task has been rescheduled Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT'. Vss error: '0x800423f3' --tr:Failed to verify writers state. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.) Make sure VM does not have 'iSCSI Software Target Storage Provider' feature installed. Unable to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) (mode: Hyper-V child partition snapshot). Details: Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT'. Vss error: '0x800423f3' --tr:Failed to verify writers state. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
C:\Users\klausdieter>VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS
vssadmin 1.1 - Verwaltungsbefehlszeilenprogramm des Volumeschattenkopie-Dienstes

The only things I changed are:

- I disabled IPV6 on the guest
- I converted one partition of the guest to a fixed disc

Do you have an idea what I can to do find a resolution for this problem?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup with Veeam Backup & Replication failed

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Klaus,
Looks like one of vss writers has failed. The best you can do is to contact Veeam technical support for the closer investigation.
Please provide your support case number once you get it.