Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EBoucq
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Eric Boucq

Veeam 9 and pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts

Post by EBoucq »

Hi,

I'm starting to use the latest version and I'm confused about the use of pre-freeze et post-thaw scripts compared the v8.

1°) Can we still create the scripts directly in the \windows directory of the VM ?

2°) If we want to use scripts created locally on the Veeam server, we have to check "Enable application aware-processing" , click on Applications and then for the chosen VM disable VSS and select the locally created scritps ?

In both cases, do we still have to check "Enable VMware Tools quiescence" in the job properties ?

Thank you !
Eric
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Veeam 9 and pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts

Post by jmmarton »

EBoucq wrote: 1°) Can we still create the scripts directly in the \windows directory of the VM ?
I don't see why not. You just need the script to be somewhere in the VM and then give the full path to it in the scripts tab of the VM's settings within AAIP.
2°) If we want to use scripts created locally on the Veeam server, we have to check "Enable application aware-processing" , click on Applications and then for the chosen VM disable VSS and select the locally created scritps ?
If you want to use local scripts on the B&R server, that would be on the scripts tab in the storage section of the backup job and not guest processing. But that would be just to do local tasks on the B&R server and wouldn't run within the VM. That would also be independent of AAIP.
In both cases, do we still have to check "Enable VMware Tools quiescence" in the job properties ?
You only use VMware Tools quiescence for Windows VMs with AAIP disabled or for Linux VMs.

Joe
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Just do not confuse pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts with pre-job and post-job ones. Actually, there's nothing new to this in v9 compared to v8.
EBoucq
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Eric Boucq

Post by EBoucq »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for you reply. I noticed something "weird" while running many tests and using quiescence scripts (installed in the guest VM).
If I check "Enable VMware Tools quiescence" and disable "Enable application-aware processing" AND if the guest OS credentials isn't correct (which shouldn't be a problem since Enable application-aware processing isn't checked), then the job fails with a "error occurred while saving the snapshot: msg.snpashot.error-QUIESCINGERROR"...
Then, if I choose the right credentials still with the application aware processing option disabled, then the snapshot succeeds..and the job too...

It doesn't make any sense to me...

Eric
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Well, if you have file system indexing enabled then the guest OS credentials will still be used even if AAIP is disabled. If you've got indexing enabled, try disabling that as well to see if you still get any error.

Joe