Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tstout
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Todd Stout

Feature Request - Drive-level Backup option

Post by tstout » 1 person likes this post

Feels like there's a hole in between 'Entire computer' and 'Volume level backup'.

For users who have multiple internal drives but don't need all of the drives backed up, it would be nice to be able to select backup sources by physical drive rather than just by logical volume. I often work with system that have large dedicated temporary/scratch drives that don't need to be backed up in an 'entire computer' backup job, but we still need a working backup of the system and data drives that could be restored in a bare-metal restore scenario.

If the volumes listed on the "choose volumes" screen were to be presented inside physical drive "containers" in a hierarchical list, users could easily select entire drives for backup or just select specific volumes (as done currently). For boot drives, especially, capturing the volume layout, boot records, and manufacturer's hidden partitions (and anything else required to make a restored drive bootable) would be helpful.

Thanks for your consideration.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Feature Request - Drive-level Backup option

Post by PTide »

Hi,

That makes sense. I'm also curious how do you think that should work with hard drives that contain spanned volumes on them?

Thanks for heads up!
tstout
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Todd Stout

Re: Feature Request - Drive-level Backup option

Post by tstout » 1 person likes this post

Personally, I don't use spanned volumes much, but I think that a pop-up notice of some sort when a drive that contained one segment of the spanned volume might be sufficient. Something like:

"This drive contains one segment of a volume that spans multiple physical drives. By default, all segments of this spanned volume will be included in the backup job." (Automatically add the additional volume segments to the backup job.)

I think the default has to be to include all segments of a spanned volume with the option to un-check them for advanced users. While I'm not sure the average user would necessarily understand what was being said, the average user is probably not setting up spanned volumes in the first place.