Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
caballo2000
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex

Veeam is making diferentials or incrementals?

Post by caballo2000 »

Hi.
Veeam Endpoint backup free is now my prefered app for backup in desktops and laptops.

I starting making backups in my home pc to my Synology NAS. I setup the schedule to run every day at 11pm.

The first backup from Monday weights 100GB, tuesday 3GB, wednesday 4GB, thursday 2.5GB

I believe the first one is a full but I don't know if all other backups are differentials or incrementals?

When I have 30 small backups in my backup folder, can I delete some of the backups? For example if I just want to keep restore points for saturdays? It's safe to do it?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam is making diferentials or incrementals?

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I believe the first one is a full but I don't know if all other backups are differentials or incrementals?
They are incrementals.
When I have 30 small backups in my backup folder, can I delete some of the backups? For example if I just want to keep restore points for saturdays? It's safe to do it?
No, you should not do that as it will render the whole chain unusable. Please see this article.

Thank you.
caballo2000
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex

Re: Veeam is making diferentials or incrementals?

Post by caballo2000 »

Thank you. I read the full guide pdf so I understand Veeam make a full one day one and subsequent incrementals. Veeam adjust backup full and incremental based on restore points. Thanks. It's clear now.