Business categorization for your virtual environment
t481
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

User Permissions in Veeam ONE

Post by t481 »

Hello,
Do you have any plans to provide the ability to control viewing permissions at the Veeam ONE level instead of requiring the users to be granted access from vCenter?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: User Permissions in Veeam ONE

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Not in the upcoming release, as far as I`m concerned.
Could you provide your use case? Would you like to create different roles or just separate the infrastructure among the VMs owners?
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In addition to vCenter Server permissions, you can use vCloud Director accounts to log in to Veeam ONE, but yes - more details in the use case would be appreciated.
t481
Enthusiast

Post by t481 »

Hi, Thanks for your replies. We don't have vCloud Director and I was hoping to use Veeam ONE to provide my users with the ability to monitor their VMs and hosts and to be able to control what they can see and run reports on without giving them access to vCenter. Some of these users are technical and they could figure out a way to access vCenter especially as they are internal to my organisation.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for clarification. BTW, can you please tell us how your users currently access/manage their VMs?
t481
Enthusiast

Post by t481 »

They don't at the moment as we don't allow that, however, they've asked for access to vCenter to be able to monitor their VMs and hosts which I'm reluctant to do but offered Veeam ONE as an alternative assuming I would have more control over what they can and cannot see but it seem to rely on vCenter permissions which is not ideal
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the reply. I`m curious what your vision of the tool implementation is.
Do you see it as a menu where you manage users and choose accessible object for each of them?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

t481 wrote:They don't at the moment as we don't allow that, however, they've asked for access to vCenter to be able to monitor their VMs and hosts which I'm reluctant to do
Most likely, they would want to have not only monitoring and reporting capabilities, but for example re-configure existing VMs or even create new ones and then place them in the corresponding resource pool or VM folder.

Given all this, you might consider creating vCenter Server accounts (via granular access lists). In this case they shouldn't mess up your vCenter Server installation.

On the other hand, if vCenter Server user is still a "no go", then I would suggest creating web-based dashboards for each account (scoped to their VMs). This would be a good start in your project.
t481
Enthusiast

Post by t481 »

Shestakov wrote:Thanks for the reply. I`m curious what your vision of the tool implementation is.
Do you see it as a menu where you manage users and choose accessible object for each of them?

@Shestakov. Yes. I was expecting something like this to be able to control access to what the users can see information about.
t481
Enthusiast

Post by t481 »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Most likely, they would want to have not only monitoring and reporting capabilities, but for example re-configure existing VMs or even create new ones and then place them in the corresponding resource pool or VM folder.

Given all this, you might consider creating vCenter Server accounts (via granular access lists). In this case they shouldn't mess up your vCenter Server installation.

On the other hand, if vCenter Server user is still a "no go", then I would suggest creating web-based dashboards for each account (scoped to their VMs). This would be a good start in your project.
@Vitality S. I'd be grateful if you could elaborate on how I can create such web-based dashboards. We do not allow users to be able to modify their VMs in any way which is why I was hoping to avoid having to give permissios at the vCenter level. Such requests have to be made through our service desk and have to be justified otherwise everyone will be asking for 64GB RAM 24 vCPUs and at least 2TB data LOL
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

t481 wrote:Yes. I was expecting something like this to be able to control access to what the users can see information about.
Thank you for the request, building the entire user-management engine similar to vCenter Server might take a lot of time ;), but we will keep this FR in mind when discussing the feature list for our next releases.
t481 wrote:] I'd be grateful if you could elaborate on how I can create such web-based dashboards.
Sure, please take a look at these link for more information:

1. Creating Dashboards
2. Publishing Dashboards
3. Sharing Dashboards

When creating custom dashboards just scope them (its widgets) to Business View groups that correspond to every user you want to grant read-only access.
t481 wrote:Such requests have to be made through our service desk and have to be justified otherwise everyone will be asking for 64GB RAM 24 vCPUs and at least 2TB data LOL
Ha :) When they start paying for these resources, probably they would behave better!