Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Spad
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Beardwood

Moving Jobs Between Servers

Post by Spad »

We currently have a single Veeam server running in a VM backing up our infrastructure; however, it's reached the point where we have enough VMs to back up that we'd like to add a 2nd Veeam server and split the jobs between them (Different jobs are backing up to different storage, so the limiting issue at the moment is mostly CPU on the backup host).

The question is, is there any way to transfer one or more jobs from the current Veeam server to the new one without losing the backup "history" - i.e. We want to be able to continue to roll back to previous backups if possible without just having to keep the old backups on disk until the new ones get up to 30 days retention (we don't have the space, for a start).

Thanks.
Alexey D.

Re: Moving Jobs Between Servers

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Adam,

If you need to move your backup/replication jobs to another server, please take a look at the existing topics which describe the procedure:
Import/Export backup job and How to move a job from one server to another w/o messing CBT

Hope that helps!
Spad
Influencer

Post by Spad »

That's excellent, thanks.
Spad
Influencer

Post by Spad »

I've successfully transferred the jobs, but I'm getting some odd behaviour in Enterprise Manager; the throughput graphs are showing identical data for both servers since the move - I've tried removing and re-adding the servers from EM but it still seems to be doing the same thing. Is there some ID or other value in the database(s) that EM is using which would cause this and if so is there a workaround for it?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To resolve this issue, first of all please remove both Veeam Backup servers from the Enterprise Manager's console, after that execute the following script against the copied “VeeamBackup” SQL database:

Code: Select all

UPDATE [dbo].[ReplicationInfo]
      SET [base_id] = NEWID()
Having done that, please re-add both Veeam backup servers to the Enterprise console. Thank you!
Spad
Influencer

Post by Spad »

Vitaliy S. wrote:To resolve this issue, first of all please remove both Veeam Backup servers from the Enterprise Manager's console, after that execute the following script against the copied “VeeamBackup” SQL database:

Code: Select all

UPDATE [dbo].[ReplicationInfo]
      SET [base_id] = NEWID()
Having done that, please re-add both Veeam backup servers to the Enterprise console. Thank you!
This has stopped the "copied" server from showing as identical to the original, but now it's not pulling any data at all from the copied server; it reports 0 jobs and 0 VMs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Adam,

Since we've cloned SQL configuration database we duplicated all primary keys in the tables that should be changed now.
Unfortunately, it slipped away from my sight that we could setup a new Veeam backup server and re-use this database for new jobs, so the Enterprise manager had a proper view of all backup servers. Please refer to our support team for the procedure instructions, as this may require a webex session. Thank you!
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

This sounds like the issue I've also had today.
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5081

Should I hold off on running that SQL ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Yep, this is exactly the reason why I just asked you in your own topic to work directly with support. I know that Vitaly is really eager to help everyone, and is trying to do it right away to the best of his knowledge, which is good in most cases, but really things like these must be handled by support staff directly, because it is support who will end up having to deal with all the mess created - like in case above... hmm I imagine I am going to get a call from our support management soon to talk about this soon :wink:

Generally speaking, editing Veeam Backup configuration data by any means other than UI is unsupported, and should only be performed if instructed by support staff, using the scripts provided by support, and with their assistance if necessary (such as over webex).
chrisdearden
Veteran

Post by chrisdearden »

No Problem ( though I wouldn't make a change to a system I couldn't back out :) ) - I'll log the issue with support on Monday as its not a show stopper. Though it could be interesting if I ever had to migrate the job back , but Im hoping v5 will facilitate job migrations anyhow.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Job migration between backup servers is not available in version 5, but it is definitely planned for future releases.
chrisdearden
Veteran

Post by chrisdearden »

Thats a shame - I'm sure support will be able to help out. I'd love to see a distributed job engine introduced where all the jobs are defined at the EM level and which ever proxy is best suited to run a given backup takes on the job.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You pretty much nailed it... we are going there, one step at a time - introducing Enterprise Manager was the first step :)