Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bvnpc63
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sang Minh Phan

Erase, Catalog or Inventory Tape >> error

Post by bvnpc63 »

Good day,,

I have installed Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0.0.1491 on Windows 2012 on DELL PowerEdge 2950 Server and it worked for erasing, catalog, inventory and backup data to Tape.

Then I removed Windows 2012 and installed VMware ESXi on Dell Power 2950 Server and also installed Windows 7 Pro as VM . Today, when I select Catalog or Inventory or Erase (run very long and error) on Tape it shows an error "Cannot inventory tape in Drive 1 (Server: FTTH-W7-TEST, Library: IBM ULTRIUM-TD3, Drive ID: Tape0). Unknown media (possibly in use by another application)"

Does Veeam not allow to use old data on tape with inferior OS than OS that data has been backed up before ?

Anyone can help me get data back from tape ?

Tape Backup Device : PowerVualt T114 IBM ULTRIUM-TD3

Thank you so much
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Erase, Catalog or Inventory Tape >> error

Post by veremin »

Were you using VB&R to write the data to these tapes previously? Or was it a different application? Could you also try to erase cassettes using native vendor tools and see whether it helps or not? Thanks.
bvnpc63
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sang Minh Phan

Post by bvnpc63 »

Hello v.Eremin,

Thank you for helping me.
Were you using VB&R to write the data to these tapes previously?
Yes

VB&R cannot erase these tapes but TDToolWin app can erase it. If data has been backed up by VB&R 9 on Win A and When Win A has problem and format & install new Win (WIN B), I want to know VB&R 9 installed on Win B can restore backed up data on these tapes previously ?

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

The described behaviour doesn't look expected. So, kindly, open a ticket with our support team and post its number here, so that we can follow the case. Thanks.
CPCS
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by CPCS »

I am also interesseted if this is possible?? If not that would be a huge problem for D&R in my opinion :shock:
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Tapes written by previous versions of VB&R should be readable for VB&R 9 and higher. So, anyone seeing different behaviour, please, open a support case and post its number here for further investigation. Thanks.