Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kwinsor
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Kent Winsor

Problem with HP 3Par Storage Snapshots using iSCSI # 0178777

Post by kwinsor »

Hello,

We are a service provider and we are having issues with backing up from storage snapshots using 3Par. My support case is # 01787771. Basically the proxy server can access all 3Par iSCSI target IP's. The iSCSI initiator is enablled on the Windows proxy server which is a physical server. We get the error message "Cannot find backup proxy capable of retrieving VM data from storage snapshot.". We use iSCSI VLAN tagging on the 3Par target ports. Support has indicated VLAN tagging support for the 3Par is a feature request. To successfully query iSCSI configuration from the 3Par CLI you need to run the command showport -iscsivlans instead of showport -iscsi. If you run the latter command, you get back blank IP's for each target port which is what the backup log shows for the job when it fails to backup from storage snapshot.

Support suggested I post this on the forums. I've been working with our Veeam Systems Engineer and Veeam Architect on this issue. As I stated previously, we are a vCloud service provider. A big reason we chose Veeam was it's integration into 3Par to backup from storage snapshots. We host multiple large Exchange servers and SQL database servers and minimizing the time snapshots are open is a huge priority for us.

Can someone tell me at Veeam if this is something that can be resolved rather quickly? I know it's no use for us to go to HP for this issue since it appears to be the way Veeam API's are interacting with the 3Par WSAPI's.

Any assistance on this would be much appreciated.

Kent
Thank you,
Kent
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Problem with HP 3Par Storage Snapshots using iSCSI # 017

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, Kent. This appears to be some new functionality on HP side, which did not exist at the time when we developed 3PAR integration. We will investigate. Thanks!
kwinsor
Service Provider

Post by kwinsor » 1 person likes this post

Thank you......much appreciated!
Thank you,
Kent
kwinsor
Service Provider

Post by kwinsor »

Hi....any update on this? Not having the ability to integrate with HP 3Par without using SAN based mode is not ideal for us. We need minimal snap open time. I was hoping this would be fixed in 9.5.
Thank you,
Kent
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Certain work has been done to support iSCSI VLAN tagging on 3PAR, but so far I cannot confirm ETA for this functionality because we don't currently have a lab to test the new code (but we're actively working with HP to create one).