Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Write Tape while Backing up

Post by aaron@ARB »

Veeam,

Can you run an incremental backup of an existing backup chain while writing that same chain to tape? Is there going to be a conflict that may either cause the tape or backup jobs to fail? I.E can both tasks access the files they need simultaneously?

Cheers.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Write Tape while Backing up

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Aaron,
backup jobs has higher priority and they will not fail working simultaneously with backup to tape jobs. In the same time backup to tape job only read the file not modifying it, so it doesn`t lock it.
So it depends on the type of source job run, if it performs merges, it locks the backups and tape job is to be stopped despite which job started earlier.
Thanks!
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Re: Write Tape while Backing up

Post by aaron@ARB »

I have been working with the APAC support guys on a case that is presenting issues that I think relate to overlap in backup jobs. Can you please have a look at support Case #01787925 and perhaps work with the local engineer on possible causes (and solutions?). I need a consistent and comprehensive answer on what to do in this situation as I have long tape jobs that fail and I'm struggling to get data consistently to tape since upgrading from V8 to V9 with issues such as this.