Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mr2nut123
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Replication to two NAS devices

Post by mr2nut123 »

We are wanting to install Veeam to backup and replicate a customers set of virtual Servers. They are running Server 2008 R2 on their current Servers. I am wanting to have the Servers backup to a local NAS, and then replicate over a constant VPN to another office of theirs. Are there any recommendations for doing this? Is it just a case of setting up a backup copy job from the primary, and specifying the remote NAS to copy backup jobs to?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Replication to two NAS devices

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Do you want to perform VM replication or copy backup to the secondary repository?
If the second, the best practice is to backup VMs locally and then use backup copy job to copy backups.
Thanks!
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Thanks for the super quick 'sit on your hands Friday' reply :-D

Which one would you recommend? Could we for example, replicate the Servers to a local NAS, and then replicate them a third time across the VPN to the other NAS? I guess with the replication way, we could simply fire the machine up off the local NAS to get them working asap, right?
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Also, with the VM replication jobs, are you still able to perform quick GRT for individual files and emails?
Shestakov
Veteran

mr2nut123 wrote:Which one would you recommend? Could we for example, replicate the Servers to a local NAS, and then replicate them a third time across the VPN to the other NAS? I guess with the replication way, we could simply fire the machine up off the local NAS to get them working asap, right?
NAS is just a storage while replication provides the best RTPO, but requires another host to run replica VM.
I would suggest to use both backup and replica or just backup if you don`t have a secondary host and/or don`t need replica VM.
If you decide to have both you may leverage Replica from Backup feature.
mr2nut123 wrote:Also, with the VM replication jobs, are you still able to perform quick GRT for individual files and emails?
Yes, you are.

Thanks!
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Shestakov wrote: NAS is just a storage while replication provides the best RTPO, but requires another host to run replica VM.
I would suggest to use both backup and replica or just backup if you don`t have a secondary host and/or don`t need replica VM.
If you decide to have both you may leverage Replica from Backup feature.
So basically, unless you have another Server, you're best just doing a backup copy job and then IF the original host fails, you can just restore the backup and mount the VM?
Shestakov
Veteran

That`s correct.