Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andromeda
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rohit Sharma

GFS Restore Points to keep

Post by andromeda »

Guys, here is our scenario.
We have local backup that runs every night. and we are looking for backup copy once a week to DR. now for compliance we have to keep monthly backup for 3 years at DR site.
So i have one jobs that runs daily for local backup (14 restore points), i have created another job that runs only on Friday and backup copy job for that one to dr. on DR i have 5 restore points, and under GFS 36 months.
i have only selected 5 restore points as once the month will end it will create the full backup from restore points for archival purpose.

Is this optimal setting ? any suggestion ? thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: GFS Restore Points to keep

Post by foggy »

Rohit, you actually do not need a second local backup job, you can specify your first local backup job as a source for the backup copy. It can be either a daily or a weekly backup copy, depending on what do you want to have in DR repository.
andromeda
Novice

Post by andromeda »

so just need a backup copy job that runs every 7 days ? also i am doing incremental backup how that will work with copy every 7 days, chain will be broken ? in DR all i want is weekly incremental backup and at the end of the month it should create full for archive.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The chain will not be broken, the backup copy job will copy all the blocks required to built the restore point corresponding to the latest VM state. I suggest to review the following user guide section for better understanding of the backup copy job process.
andromeda
Novice

Post by andromeda »

I did try that but it was doing the copy every day to DR even i had setting to copy every 7 days in backup copy job. is there any other setting i am missing in copy job ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you set the 'copy every' interval setting to 7 days, it shouldn't copy every day, so I recommend contacting support for verification.