Tape and Repository at different sites

Post by B.F. »

Environment:

Site1 (Main Site)
VM1

Site2
VM1 Backup
VM1 Replica

Site2 is where the Veeam server is located that has the Backup and Replication jobs to pull from Site1. What I would like to inject into the scenario is to have a tape drive at Site1 where Weekly and Monthly VM1 full can be saved.

Here is the possible issue I'm seeing. "When a backup to tape job runs, it does not create new backups: it locates already existing backups and copies them from backup repository to tape." --Veeam Users Guide. The backup repository is at Site2 and the Tape at Site1. Is there any way to do this so that it just pulls the date from VM1 instead of having to go over the WAN for the Tape backup?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Tape and Repository at different sites

Post by foggy »

You need another backup job that would backup and store VMs locally at Site 1 to further offload them to tape. The remote backup job can then be replaced by the backup copy job, inline with the ultimate backup architecture.
B.F.
Expert
Liked: 9 times

Post by B.F. »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Adds another layer (expense for more disk at Site1 and steps) unfortunately.

I see that File Backup to tape appears to read from the source VM. Perhaps I could give that a try with the Veeam server at Site1. Probably will take many many hours to complete since VM1 is a large file server. (Many many files).
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, file to tape job can be used, but performance will be much lower.
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. »

So I'm obviously missing something.

When I go into the File to Tape wizard and it gives me the server drop down, the particular VM I want is not on the list. How is the drop down populated?

Thanks
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. »

Discovered the solution. I need to add the server into the "Managed Servers" in Backup Infrastructure.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Right, to be able to add server in the job, you need it to be added to Veeam B&R console first.