Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jazzoberoi
Enthusiast
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Jazz Oberoi

VEEAM & HP Best Practices (3PAR + MSA + StoreOnce + MSLTape)

Post by jazzoberoi »

Hi Guys,

Ok, so basically I'm the IT Manager of a SMB company that is looking at expanding its offices and operations in multiple states. These state offices will be connected via 100mb fiber internet links to each other. We also plan to have many small ROBO sites with a handful of users in each state which will be connected to their corresponding state offices using 4g Wan links.

The task at hand now is to design a Backup & DR solution that will allow us to achieve the most availability at the best value for money with HP & Veeam.

The basic idea is as follows :

- Each of the small ROBO offices will be equipped with only 1x HP G8 Microserver (Hyper-V Host) with 16gb RAM to support 2x VM's (AD + File/Print)

- Each of the State Offices will be equipped with 2x HP Gen8/9 servers in Fail-Over clustering with MSA Shared Storage.
- Each of the State Offices will also be equipped with 1x StoreOnce 8TB appliance for local backup storage & retention.

- The Head Office will be equipped with 2x HP Gen 9 servers in Fail-Over clustering with 3PAR Shared Storage.
- The Head Office will also be equipped with 1x HP Gen 8 server acting as the VEEAM Backup Server and local repository for backups.
- The Head Office will also be equipped with 1x StoreOnce 4500 appliance for local backup storage & retention.
- The Head Office will also be equipped with 1x MSL 2024 LTO-6 Tape Library for offsite backup.

- The DR Site will be equipped with 2x HP Gen 9 servers in Fail-Over clustering with 3PAR Shared Storage.
- The DR Site will also be equipped with 1x StoreOnce 4500 appliance for local backup storage & retention.

How would you guys go around to utilizing the HP resources available in our environment to create the perfect HP + Veeam Backup architecture for maximum bang for buck ?

PS: I aim to leverage FC & Catalyst & Source side de-duplication wherever possible.
jazzoberoi
Enthusiast

Re: VEEAM & HP Best Practices (3PAR + MSA + StoreOnce + MSLT

Post by jazzoberoi »

Hi Guys..

I guess i'll have better luck getting replies if i ask specific questions ? :)

So as you can see, i only have 1x physical server which is dedicated as the VEEAM Backup server at the HO.

My questions regarding the setup are :

- Is it OK if i create Catalyst Stores in StoreOnce in each of the state offices and backup the corresponding 'Small ROBO' VM's to them from the VEEAM backup server located @ HO ? Can i leverage 'catalyst source side de-duplication' and minimize the bandwidth requirements ? Will any backup data have to traverse back to the HO if i backup the corresponding 'Small ROBO' to say 'State Office - 01 / 02' ?

- Can i use the Built-in StoreOnce catalyst replication to replicate the catalyst stores from all the 'State Office StoreOnce' back to the HO and from the HO to the DR Site StoreOnce ?

- If using the OnHost backup method everywhere, will i need to deploy any more physical servers / VM's dedicated to VEEAM roles at any other State Offices or ROBO sites or can i manage everything by using only the 1x VEEAM Server located at the HO ?

- Is there any way to transfer the data from the Catalyst Store in the StoreOnce @ HO to the MSL Tape library for Off-site backup using VEEAM ?

- To replicate the VM data between HO & DR Site, is it better to leverage 3PAR Replication or VEEAM Replication ? Which is more bandwidth efficient ? I'm using Enterprise Licenses and not the Enterprise Plus.
jazzoberoi
Enthusiast

Re: VEEAM & HP Best Practices (3PAR + MSA + StoreOnce + MSLT

Post by jazzoberoi »

Hi VEEAM guys, can we have some replies please ? Or do i need to open a support ticket just to get some answers on the forums ?