Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mmierzwa
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Mierzwa

Weekly backup to tape confusion

Post by mmierzwa »

I have a backup to disk job setup with 365 restore points (incremental w/ monthly active fulls). Now I would like to setup a tape job that would be run every Monday and would allow me to store the latest full backup (including all incrementals). I figured that virtual fulls would take care of this but it turns out that you can't have virtual fulls with periodic active fulls.

I know I can switch to forever forward incremental and that should take care of the issue but I feel more comfortable with having a periodic active full. I'm fine with switching to forever forward incremental as long as there is some other way of running a monthly active full (maybe a separate job?, but would that interfere with the creation of virtual fulls?)

How can I accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thank you !
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Weekly backup to tape confusion

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

There is an option to backup only the latest chain to tape (starting from latest full backup). You can find in in backup to tape job properties, option step > advanced settings

mmierzwa
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Mierzwa

Post by mmierzwa »

I do have that option checked but since I'm doing monthly fulls this will only copy that one monthly. I need to write a full backup to tape every week. What I did in the past, is I did weekly full backups but that ended up taking too much space, so I'm trying to do monthly active full backups to disk while being able to somehow write a full backup to tape weekly.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, it will keep the monthly full only. Another option might be to switch you disk job to forever incremental backup job and schedule a synthesized full to tape (it creates a full backup on tape from incremental backup on disk).