Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chouse
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: chouse

Feature request - display when *not* using storage snapshot

Post by chouse »

Had an issue recently where a job which was configured for storage integration suddenly started to not use the storage snapshot. The only way we were aware of it was when the snapshot removal process happened hours after the snapshot creation, instead of a few minutes as typically is the case when backing up from storage snapshots. Further investigation revelead the job was successfully backing up but no longer via storage snapshots - instead falling back to hot-add using the backup proxy VM. This is not ideal as we do not want snapshots to exist for any period of time on the VMs backed up by this job.

We had disabled fall-back to other backup methods thinking that the job would then fail, however the job continued to run successfully using the hot-add method.

Turns out the storage integration was failing because the VMs in question did indeed have existing snapshots and it has been stated that backing up from netapp NFS storage snapshot is not supported when the VM has snapshots.

All this to say, it would be great if the backup job would show in the GUI as part of the steps/progress that it is failing over to other backup methods because the VM has snapshots and therefore it cannot backup using storage integration/array-based snapshots, maybe throwing a warning so we would be notified about it.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Feature request - display when *not* using storage snaps

Post by Gostev »

Hi, as far as I remember this was already addressed in 9.5 based on earlier feedback that our jobs do not treat that checkbox that allows failover to regular backup "seriously". This was actually a bug, not a missing feature. Thanks!
chouse
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: chouse

Re: Feature request - display when *not* using storage snaps

Post by chouse »

Oh, great!

So paying attention to that checkbox is good, but I was mainly looking for additional notification within the job status about existing VM snapshots causing backup-from-storage-snapshots feature to be unavailable.

If obeying the "don't fallback to other transport methods" is obeyed then I would assume the job would fail so as long as there is a message in the GUI status about existing VM snapshots interfering with backup-from-storage-snapshots, that would be what I'm looking for.

Thanks!