Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
B2r2
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Craig Wardell

Help setting up a backup schedule including Archive to tape

Post by B2r2 »

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help with this as I have spent an age trying to change a backup system that was set up for me by an external company, that only allows me to backup and restore for a 30 day period... no tape backup has been included in their solution and is something I definitely need for DR and Data retention requirements.

I need to be able to do the following:-

•Daily Backup cycle
•Weekly backup cycle x 4/5
•Monthly backup cycle x 12
•Yearly backup cycle possibly x 2

How do I achieve this with Veeam?

I have 1.7 TB of data that I need to back up which includes 8 VM's and all user and resource areas. The repository I have is a 4 TB Synology NAS and my tape drive is an LTO6 model.

Any help setting this up or explaining what I need to achieve this will be much appreciated :-)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Help setting up a backup schedule including Archive to t

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Craig,
You need to create 2 Media pools, one simple for daily jobs and one GFS(historical) for weekly, monthly and yearly backups.
Once you have media pools, you need to create 2 backup to tape jobs. Point first one to basic daily media pool, and second one to GFS media pool.
Choose backup frequency in the jobs` settings and retention policy(protection period) on media pools.
Thanks!
B2r2
Influencer

Post by B2r2 »

Hi Nikita,

Thanks for the pointers. I will set to work on creating media pools and backup Jobs you have saved me loads of time. (I will hopefully eventually find time to read over all veeams documentation and training videos to get up-to speed with the product.
Thanks again...
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome, Craig.
I would suggest to read User guide and Book of best practices.
Thanks!
B2r2
Influencer

Post by B2r2 »

Shestakov wrote:Hi Craig,
You need to create 2 Media pools, one simple for daily jobs and one GFS(historical) for weekly, monthly and yearly backups.
Once you have media pools, you need to create 2 backup to tape jobs. Point first one to basic daily media pool, and second one to GFS media pool.
Choose backup frequency in the jobs` settings and retention policy(protection period) on media pools.
Thanks!
Hi Shestakov
I have set up as you have suggested but I keep getting the following message when I run the Job :- Failed to detect backup files to copy to tape from All-Daily Full 2 backup job. The job is also saying not scheduled so I have to manually run it.

I would open a case with support but I do not have a support ID whilst I am trialing the Enterprise Plus version of VBR.
I do have a paid subscription to VBR standard but whilst I have the licence file for the trial version loaded I am unable to view my support ID.
The reason I am trialing the VBR Enterprise Plus edition is because I want to make sure I can do what I need before upgrading from standard.

Please can you advise?
Thanks
Craig
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi B2r2,
I would open a case with support but I do not have a support ID whilst I am trialing the Enterprise Plus version of VBR.
It should be possible to submit a support case even for a trial version.
I keep getting the following message when I run the Job :- Failed to detect backup files to copy to tape from All-Daily Full 2 backup job
Is that a tape job pointed to GFS media pool?
B2r2
Influencer

Post by B2r2 »

Dima P. wrote:Hi B2r2,
It should be possible to submit a support case even for a trial version.
I keep getting the following message when I run the Job :- Failed to detect backup files to copy to tape from All-Daily Full 2 backup job
Is that a tape job pointed to GFS media pool?
Hi Dima

I am unable to send a support ticket as there is no support ID available when using the Trial licence file

Yes I am using a GFS Media pool - also should I be selecting Backup Job or Repositories when creating the Tape Job?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

B2r2 wrote:I am unable to send a support ticket as there is no support ID available when using the Trial licence file
As Dima said you can contact support even with trial license. You can also always call them.
B2r2 wrote:Yes I am using a GFS Media pool - also should I be selecting Backup Job or Repositories when creating the Tape Job?
Any of these, both work. Make sure you choose right repository though. The one which is a target for disk backup jobs.
Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Craig,

Tape job pointed to GFS media pools should pick only new restore points. If the source job did not create a new point after the last GFS job run, the GFS job will not copy anything to tape. I guess, that’s what you are observing.

Check this article to get a clear picture of tape GFS job logic: How GFS Backup to Tape Works
B2r2
Influencer

Post by B2r2 » 1 person likes this post

Dima P. wrote:Craig,

Tape job pointed to GFS media pools should pick only new restore points. If the source job did not create a new point after the last GFS job run, the GFS job will not copy anything to tape. I guess, that’s what you are observing.

Check this article to get a clear picture of tape GFS job logic: How GFS Backup to Tape Works
I contacted support and they applied a patch all seems to be working now, Phew!! and thanks again...