Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
1-0-1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bernd

Room for improvement?

Post by 1-0-1 »

So basically this would require a lot of concideration points but I just want to get some from of validation or reference weather my observed backup processing rate is acceptable or if I need to consider fine tuning.

I am running VEEAM B&R 8 as a virtual machine with vCenter 5.1. Both the virtual guest storage unit and backup repository is iSCSI connected (separate storage units). My backup job is configured as a forward incremental and is running at approx. 50 MB/s processing rate. Overall we are able to keep our backup time objectives but before I go into a flurry of investigations I wanted to hear out if the mentioned processing rate is fine for iSCSI or if there is defendant room for improvement.

I know there is most properly more information needed so please let me know what other key information is vital.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Room for improvement?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Bernd,
There are lots of factors influencing backup speed. The best way to start troubleshooting is bottleneck and full job statistics analysis. Could you provide it?
By the way what transport mode is used?
Thanks!
1-0-1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bernd

Post by 1-0-1 »

All the backup proxies are using virtual appliance mode with no option to fallback to network mode. The bottleneck distribution is approx. Source (29%), Proxy (2%), Network (0%) and Target (0%). What do you mean by the job statistics analysis and is there a way to obtain historical consolidated data for the bottleneck distribution?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You should pay attention to the source storage. Probably this thread and this KB article will provide some hints.