Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Hari Seldon

Restore Volume to New Drive Letter

Post by Hariseldon1 »

I need to restore a volume (A:\) to a new drive on my laptop. My new drive (for now drive letter E:\) is a usb 3.0 attached external 128 GB SSD removable SSD.

My goal is to preserve the VSS snapshots in the existing backup ---> to the new restore-to-here destination.

[Robocopy mirror is not an option for loss of VSS snapshots. The last resort would be a live usb/dvd boot and clonezilla copy the partition to the new drive. But i am trying to avoid time offline if possible.]

FYI the original backed-up volume was only 60 GB ---> the new destination drive is 128 GB (so space not an issue as I am restoring a smaller partition to a larger drive)

I cannot find any setting that allows me to specify the "Destination-Drive" to write the restore data.

Thanks!
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Restore Volume to New Drive Letter

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Hari,
I am trying to make sure I understand your question, but are you trying to restore to a USB drive? Or are your backups on a USB drive and you are restoring to an internal hard disk?

Cheers!
VMCE v9
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast

Post by Hariseldon1 »

The source (original) is partition #3 on internal SSD like this https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-2- ... 00LF10L02/

I backup to this Destination network attached storage.)

I am trying to restore the last backup w/ VSS snapshots intact to this alternative destination... https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-128-Vx4 ... B00J88UVQS
(not overwrite native original source... I am restoring to a copy of the backup to a new location)

My ultimate end goal is to end partitioning of the internal SSD and use the external SSD as a permanent fixture.

Does that help?
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Currently restoring to a USB attached drive is not supported. It would have to be an internal disk as the destination.
VMCE v9
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast

Post by Hariseldon1 »

Thanks, I must have missed that in the docs.

I am looking to switch to an internal M.2 / mSATA solution.