Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
STEVEDAWE
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Dawe

2 sites - data repository not visible to 2nd Veeam server

Post by STEVEDAWE »

I'm new to Veeam and have tried to find out the answer to this but to no avail: Quick question about 2 site based backup and DR

I have Site A and Site B.
I have Hyper-V hosting production VMs at both sites.
I have a dedicated Hyper-V host machine running a VM with Veeam 9 installed at both sites too.
I wanted to backup the production data within each site to the Veeam server on that site - and then to copy/replicate that data over to the other site as a DR option ( A -> B & B -> A )

It appear as though i can do this with 2 completely independant Veeam servers, one at each site.
My question is:
a) do i create a repository for Site A data on Site B Veeam server?
b) If so, how do i then access that backup data for recovery in the event of disaster (i.e. Site A Nuked - Site B needs to run all VMs for B & A) the site B Veeam server does not appear to 'SEE' the repository containing the site A data, as it was created by a site A Veeam server...
c) can i not have a shared respository accessible and visible to both Veeam servers?
d) if not, how do i attach the site A repository (located on site b) to the site b Veeam server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: 2 sites - data repository not visible to 2nd Veeam serve

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Veeam community forums!

a. Yes, you should create two repositories on each site. One would be used by a local backup server (for local backups) and the other would be used by the offsite backup server. In other words, Veeam backup server in site A will save backup locally and then transfer backup copies (via backup copy jobs) to the site B repository. This repository has to be managed and created by site A backup server. The same applies to Veeam backup server in site B.
b. You will need to follow the deployment procedure above, as shared repositories are not supported.
c. No, it is not supported.
d. Please see my first response

Hope this helps!
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

In the event the Veeam server in Site A is gone, you can import the backups to the Veeam server in Site B in order to restore the data. See https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyp ... ckups.html

That won't include the job configuration so if you need that as well make sure you do a configuration backup or backup/replicate the VM that Veeam is installed in.
STEVEDAWE
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Dawe

Post by STEVEDAWE »

Thanks for the input guys! I just wanted to check there wasn't a smarter method i was overlooking. I will do as you suggest Vitaliy and will keep a copy of your link handy nmdange in case of disaster.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yep, nmdange, good point. Saving Veeam config file can also be helpful in the event of disaster.