Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

VSS timeouts

Post by ashman70 »

I have several clients running SBS 2011 on virtualized hardware most are still on Vsphere 5.1 however I have one client on 5.5. All clients are being backed up with Veeam Backup & Replication and are still on v8, however only one has VSS timeout issues when doing replications and the only difference is that this is the one customer on Vsphere 5.5 Now this particular SBS 2011 server is no busier than the others in terms of the number of users that are using it and I just can't figure out why this server has the VSS timeout issues constantly. I've adjusted the registry entry for this issue but the timeouts still happen. Just looking for advice more than anything, I find it very odd and wonder if Vsphere 5.5 has something to do with it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VSS timeouts

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have any VSS related errors in the Windows Event log? What about datastore performance when backup job is triggered? Finally, have you tried increasing CPU/Memory resources for this VM to fix this VSS issue?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: VSS timeouts

Post by alanbolte »

I've adjusted the registry entry for this issue but the timeouts still happen
Please double-check the KB to make sure that the error you're experiencing is the one that's affected by the registry change; the other timeout listed in the KB cannot be adjusted. Once you're sure what the error is, check the alternate possibilities listed in the KB, then open a support case if you can't identify the problem.