Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Agent Fred
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alfred Fuchs

Backing up Exchange with two tools

Post by Agent Fred »

I have a question about backup exchange 2007:

I use Veeam Backup 4.1.2 to nightly replicate an Exchange 2007 VM with vStorage API option to a second datastore. Veeam VSS integration is enabled. On weekend I perform an additional backup with veeam over network.
I also backup the exchange datastore with Backup Exec 12.5 (full backup one time per week). I activated to backup continuously transaction logs with CPS and to make a restore point and truncate logs every day.

The daily Backup Exec job sometimes fails: "Backup Exec agent was not used to perform the last total backup...".

Does this szenario fail because Veeam also truncates the logs on the replication jobs? (I think that's the problem which means that most of my BE backups are not complete) How can I modify the two jobs?

Thanks for help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backing up Exchange with two tools

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Alfred,

Unfortunately we are unable to troubleshoot 3rd party backup product failures, please refer to Symantec support directly. Though we do have customers using BE and Veeam at the same time successfully, please kindly use forum's search for those topics for more info:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/search.php? ... c+exchange

As regards to modifying Veeam backup job, you may disable Veeam VSS and enable VMware Tools Quiescence in order not to truncate the logs. Besides, in v5 we will introduce a configurable option which will allow you to choose whether to truncate the logs or not.

Hope it helps!