Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bshubinsky
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Boris Shubinsky

Backing up thin provisioned VMs

Post by bshubinsky »

We seem to have run into a small issue when trying to backup up our thin provisioned VMs. Our Exchange server has 1.5TB assigned to it in TP but is only using about 60GB in actual space. However, Veeam appears to want to back up the entire 1.5TB (which we don't have). Anyone know of any way I can get this backed up without having to allocate over a TB of space?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backing up thin provisioned VMs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Boris, Veeam Backup and Replication is fully aware of thin-provisioning, so could you please elaborate the issue please? Thank you!
bshubinsky
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Boris Shubinsky

Post by bshubinsky »

Sure. As stated earlier, we have a Exchange server that has 1.5TB of space thin provisioned to it. It is only using a partial amount of that space (around 200GB). When trying to perform the backup, Veeam is seeing it at 1.57TB of total space to back up.

If I just continue and do a "Check Space", it says I do not have the space available (which it doesn't).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh I see...I believe it is the retention policy that causes this warning, as formula does not take thin provisioning into consideration. Here is the topic with more info regarding formula usage, please have a look: http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 498#p14246