Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
strivoli2
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

No backup files found. Unable to Restore

Post by strivoli2 »

I'm using the last version. Backup completed successfully. I need to restore but Veeam doesn't find the backup automatically. If I browse and point to the correct VMB file Veeam still returns "No backup files found". The same folder also has a VBK file of 157GB. Is there any way to "catalog" the VBK file in order to rebuild the VMB file?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: No backup files found. Unable to Restore

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Are you able to import this VBK file (backup file) directly without using the repository rescan option?
strivoli2
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by strivoli2 »

Thanks for your reply. The backup destination was a local USB drive. So, no, I'm not using any Repository. Any further suggestions?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

VBM file is not required, when you try to import a backup file. If this doesn't work, I would suggest contacting our support team to see this issue live over the remote WebEx session.
mfred02
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Federico Masi

Post by mfred02 »

Me too, I have the same problem.
Endpoint Backup v. 1.5.0.306 installed on my laptop with Windows 8.1 Pro, backing up on a USB Disk.
It's the first time I need to restore a file since I started to use it about 1 or 2 months ago... File Level Restore window wizard doesn't find anything on local storage, even if I try to browse the folder where all backup files exists!

Is there a way to open backup files directly by mean of Endpoint Backup or other tools?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Double click the .vbk or .vbk file and it should pop up the recovery menu. Veeam Endpoint Backup should be installed on the machine otherwise recovery is not possible.
mfred02
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Federico Masi

Post by mfred02 »

I think you mean: .vbk & .vbm are supposed to be sensible to double click...
Infact, they are working good in a brand new USB disk that I've been using for about 1 week.

Instead the USB disk that I was using last 4 months I think it's screwed up because I have error opening .vbk file: "Unsupported VBM format". Is there a way to check and recover something out from those vbk and .vib files?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Federico,

Try to copy those files (VBK and VIB) from that original USB disk to your local disk or to another one. See what it says or what error it gives. If the copy works, try opening the backup (through the file-level restore option) from the new location. As Vitaliy says, you don't need the VBM file to import a backup file. If that doesn't work, create a support case through the VEB UI and hopefully our very smart engineers can figure something out and maybe even recover something

Thanks
Mike
pzvima
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander De Maet

Post by pzvima »

I am getting the error "Unsupported vbm format" also! When I am trying to a open a VIB file with Veeam endpoint backup then I am getting a UI to configure the backup.
I have copied the VIB file from an usb disk to the local disk.
I need to restore some files from a backup created about one month ago.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community pzvima!

It’s impossible to run a recovery from a single .vib file. You need to copy the full backup chain including the full backup file all incremental files and metadata file (.vbk, .vib, .vbm). Try to copy the whole backup folder from the removable media (or run recovery directly from that location via File level recovery wizard > Browse).

Edit: Please don’t post the same question multiple times.