Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevil
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve B

Release Date V5

Post by stevil »

Hi, as we are now at the end of September, do you have an accurate release date for Version 5? I need to roll the software out to 7 sites and would prefer to roll-out the latest version, it just depends how much longer it's going to be :)

Cheers
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Release Date V5

Post by Gostev »

Hi Steve, the general availability for v5 is mid-October.
stevil
Expert

Post by stevil »

Damn, another two weeks, I will have to wait patiently :)
Soap
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian

Post by Soap »

Same here, I was going to wait, but am just going to roll with 4.1.2 and then upgrade once v5 is out it looks like.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

4.1.2 is awesome!!
stevil
Expert

Post by stevil »

We're mid-October now, I check back here every day in the hope that v5 is released :(

I specifically need the "remote backup over a slow WAN link" technology which I believe will come with V5.

Any update on this Gostev?

Many thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We are planning the release for October 20th.
stevil
Expert

Post by stevil »

Thanks for the update on that. I'll get the beers ready for next week :)
davidshq
Enthusiast
Full Name: David Mackey

Post by davidshq »

Can't wait for next week!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yeah, me too... let's see how many hours of sleep I will get for the whole next week :mrgreen:
ctchang
Expert
Liked: 1 time

Post by ctchang »

Is there a 64bits version for B&R V5 ?

I just got it.

Q: Will v5 be 64-bit only?
A: No, v5 will have both 32-bit and 64-bit packages.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yep, we have 64-bit packages since v4. On a side note, I am thinking about dropping 32-bit support for Veeam Backup server installation with the next major release, opinions?
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

Gostev wrote:Yep, we have 64-bit packages since v4. On a side note, I am thinking about dropping 32-bit support for Veeam Backup server installation with the next major release, opinions?
yep, no-one needs 32bit these days anymore and since memory matters, especially for V5, me personally, i see no reason for still providing 32bit. BTW: VMware also came to this decision regarding vCenter Server ;-)
ctchang
Expert
Liked: 1 time

Post by ctchang »

Gostev wrote:Yep, we have 64-bit packages since v4. On a side note, I am thinking about dropping 32-bit support for Veeam Backup server installation with the next major release, opinions?
Btw, I found even Monitor v5 came with 64Bits, that's nice.
stevil
Expert

Post by stevil »

Hoora! Well done Veeam for hitting the deadline. Your download servers will be taking a hammering right now I guess. Looking forward to putting this straight into production :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Our download servers are on Amazon S3 with CloudFront option enabled, good luck trying to hammer this beast down ;)
BearHuntr
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by BearHuntr »

The License Management Portal appears to be DOA.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Just overloaded, try again later.
BearHuntr
Enthusiast

Post by BearHuntr »

Ok, the license management portal page works now, but the Free Upgrade to Enterprise button doesn't.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We are seeing free upgrades claimed by other customers. Are you using any popup/ad blocker? Try using different browser. If nothing helps, please send screenshot to our support. Thanks!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

When I click on "Free Upgrade" my browser window gets "greyed out" and I get a white box with a red border with the message:
The requested content can not be loaded.
Please try again later.
Close
This happens no matter the browser that I'm using. Last night the portal was simply blank, so I guess that's an improvement.

I'm also curious how the "License Administrator" address was "acquired" as the address for my account is our purchasing manager, and even it's not right as both the name and domain portion of the address are incorrect.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, I will send this information to our webteam. As for incorrect address/contact, this cannot be fixed via License Portal, so it would be best to shoot the email to licensing@veeam.com and request the required corrections made.
BearHuntr
Enthusiast

Post by BearHuntr »

I'm getting the same message as tsightler in both Firefox and IE when clicking on the Free Upgrade button.
BearHuntr
Enthusiast

Post by BearHuntr »

Should we be contacting licensing@veeam.com with regards to the Free Upgrade button not working?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Actually I asked webteam update database manually for you two (to reflect that you have claimed the upgrade already), and they have done it earlier today. You should be good to go now, try downloading the license - it should be Enterprise Edition. BTW, they swear that this button issue happens from heavy load only.

Yes, sure - you can always use licensing@veeam.com as alternative.

Thanks!
BearHuntr
Enthusiast

Post by BearHuntr »

The License Management Portal still lists Standard edition, how would I be able to tell if the license file is actually Enterprise? I did contact Licensing@veeam.com, but so far that hasn't helped.

By the way, what's strange is that if I leave the webpage up for a while (which must be after a timeout) and then click the Free Upgrade button again, it comes up with a checkbox to accept and a continue button. When I click Continue, it asks me to log in again and brings me right back to the License Management Portal again. Then, if I click the button again, I get the error message again.
LarsenLP
Novice
Full Name: Lars Peter Larsen

Post by LarsenLP »

I am actually running a Windows 2003 Server 32 bit for Veeam Backup and Replication, as well as an old Windows XP 32 bit on a secondary VMWare server for "backup of the backup-server", so I would have to upgrade those. I don't think the licenses would be that expensive - it is more the hassle of reinstalling servers, including re-creating backup and replication jobs, as well as doing the initial replication over a slower WAN-link...

But, as a software developer, I fully understand the extra development and testing efforts needed to maintain both 32- and 64-bit code! So, just wanted to let you know that there actually are people running Veeam on 32 bit machines :-)
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Right, we run Veeam on 32-bit systems at some remote sites simply because their infrastructure does not support 64-bit VM's at this time (Veeam is running as a virtual appliance). Of course, that will have to change in the reasonably near future with Microsoft pretty much killing off 32-bit server OS's, but for right now, 32-bit systems still exist. We have in the budget next year to replace the last of our 32-bit only ESX hosts, so this might not be an issue by the time of the next Veeam release, but for now we're still using some 32-bit Veeam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

BearHuntr wrote:The License Management Portal still lists Standard edition, how would I be able to tell if the license file is actually Enterprise? I did contact Licensing@veeam.com, but so far that hasn't helped.

By the way, what's strange is that if I leave the webpage up for a while (which must be after a timeout) and then click the Free Upgrade button again, it comes up with a checkbox to accept and a continue button. When I click Continue, it asks me to log in again and brings me right back to the License Management Portal again. Then, if I click the button again, I get the error message again.
Hi, just heard from our web team that they have investigated your case in the logs, and it appears that you are NOT the registered license admin for your company, so you are not allowed to claim free upgrade. This is what has been causing the issue. We have made the changes to hide upgrade claim button from users who are not license administrators. Thanks!