Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Invalid block size reading tape from another drive

Post by pkelly_sts »

I've been successfully transporting backups from site A to site B via tape (for seeding etc.), but now that I've tried to do the same thing in reverse, i.e. transport some files via tape from site B to site A I'm getting the following error:
"Cannot set block size: 1048576setMediaParameters error: Tape error: '87' (The parameter is incorrect.) "

After reading a couple of topics here I checked the blocksize configuration of each drive and found that the drives on site A are configured with block size of 524288 whereas site B are set to 1048576.

Both sites use the same tape library (HP MSL2024 with LTO-6 drives) and, although they may not be on the latest firmware (which I'll address later) they're definitely on the *same* firmware.

The confusing thing is, I can't seem to set the site A drives to anything larger than 524288 & I don't understand why?

It does look like I can set the site B drives to 524288, but I'm guessing that'll just render all the previously written tapes as unusable?

Any suggestions?

[Edit: After further investigation, the drives are actually on the latest firmware, the update available is for the library/chassis itself)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Invalid block size reading tape from another drive

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

Drive block size is set to an average value between all drives in one library. It’s done to ensure that all drives can restore tape written within one library. However, maximum/minimum value is retuned by the library/drive itself.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Dima P. wrote: It’s done to ensure that all drives can restore tape written within one library. However, maximum/minimum value is retuned by the library/drive itself.
Hmm, that's actually not always relevant, & may well be a contributor to my issue.

The reason is, in my "problematic" environment, I have two libraries - one has an LTO-6 drive in it, the other has an LTO-6 and an LTO-4 drive in it. (Primary reason was we used Backup exec & sent full backups to LTO-6 tapes (3+TB at that time) and daily incrementals <100Gb each went to LTO-4 tapes to save on costs as there was no sense in writing <100Gb files to 2.4Tb tapes & send them off daily.

The LTO-6 drives will happily restore an LTO-4 tape, but an LTO-4 drive can't do a single thing with anything higher than an LTO-4 tape.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed » 1 person likes this post

If you're running v9 there is a bug wherein it won't read and adapt to written tape block size properly. You'll need to contact support to get the hotfix sent to you. Worked fine for us.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Hmm, I've had a hotfix but it's specifically related to erasing tapes I believe so not directly related to our issue but your description sounds subtly different.

(FWIW my issue is currently being discussed in cases 01850643 & 01859962)
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

I first noticed mine w/ simply trying to read from tapes that had different block size but bombed out, so I tried to erase them which also threw this same error. The hotfix did clear up ours but if you're still having the issue, sounds like you might need to continue working w/ support.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)