Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Stelaris
Lurker
Liked: never

Snapshot Removal stuck at 99% blocking other Jobs

Post by Stelaris »

Hey,

I have the following problem.

At 25.07.2016 we had a Transient in our tranfomer causing every machine to hard shutdown. Our Mailserver-VM was doing a backup at this moment. Since then we always have problems with Snapshots for this vm. I had to delete all snapshots one by one and restart the management services (hostd and vpxa) after every removal since it stuck at 99% (I waited almost 24 hours for it to finish). The Snapshot-Manager shows there are no Snapshots left but in the Shell I see so many files and I think there might be a problem. I started Backupjob at 00:00 tonight and now the snapshot removal is still stuck at 99% and Veeam cant process the other jobs. I really need some help since I can't figure out what to do.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Snapshot Removal stuck at 99% blocking other Jobs

Post by foggy »

In order to remove orphaned snapshots, you can create another snapshot manually and then perform a “Delete all” operation in Snapshot Manager. All snapshots, including the ones not shown in Snapshot Manager, will be consolidated.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

Try foggy's trick first, that 'usually' cleans out all your hidden snapshots. If not, you have to go in and manually edit the vmx file to remove the entries for those snaps and delete them; there's a write-up for this on the internets. Haven't seen this since around 4.x or 5.x but went through it several times back then. Haven't seen it in v6 and haven't missed it. :D
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Stelaris wrote:Since then we always have problems with Snapshots for this vm. I had to delete all snapshots one by one and restart the management services (hostd and vpxa) after every removal since it stuck at 99% (I waited almost 24 hours for it to finish).
I would suggest to review VMware log files for this VM when snapshots operation hangs. There could be additional information on why it's started to happen.