Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Stegerius
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lorenz Steger

Error: There is an folder item with the specified name and a

Post by Stegerius »

We have configured a backup copy job with a WAN Accelerator to one of our backup servers in our datacenter.
Since a few days I am getting these error messages in Veeam v8:
07.12.2014 18:31:34 :: Failed to merge full backup file. Terminated at 07.12.2014 18:56:59
07.12.2014 18:34:42 :: Failed to create restore point 27.11.2014 08:58:07
07.12.2014 18:56:59 :: Error: There is an folder item with the specified name and another type.

The Files in the Backup Repository are looking like this:
Backup Copy to RZ1.vbm
Backup Copy to RZ12014-11-26T183000.vbk
Backup Copy to RZ12014-11-27T085807.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-11-27T183000.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-11-28T183000.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-11-29T183000.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-12-01T183000.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-12-03T183000.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-12-04T160229.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-12-04T183000.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-12-05T183000.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-12-06T183000.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-12-07T183000.vib
Backup Copy to RZ12014-12-08T084102.vib

Does anybody know something about a solution for this error message?

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Error: There is an folder item with the specified name a

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Lorenz,
Please provide your support case number, as required by forum`s rules when posting a question about errors.
Thanks.
Stegerius
Novice

Post by Stegerius »

Case ID 00697683
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you see the same error message on the next job run?
Stegerius
Novice

Post by Stegerius »

Yes, on every job run.
Is there a way to manually start a full backup merge?
Otherwise I allways have to wait for the next backup copy intervall to see if the error is gone or not.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Are you using simple retention policy? If the number of available restore points match the configure retention settings, then full backup merge will happen on the next job run. BTW, what did your support engineer say on this?
Stegerius
Novice

Post by Stegerius »

My copy intervall is every 1 Day starting at 6:30 pm.
Retention policy is simply 7 days.

Currently I am waiting for a engineer to respond.
lejim
Novice
Full Name: Jimmi

Post by lejim »

Hi any update ?
Stegerius
Novice

Post by Stegerius »

The support had a look at the log files and told me, there is no other solution than to delete the backup copy job and recreate it.
Although this is not really a solution for me, I did recreate the job and now it has to sync 1,2TB over a 10MBit WAN connection.
So I have to wait, if this worked or not...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Stegerius wrote:Although this is not really a solution for me, I did recreate the job and now it has to sync 1,2TB over a 10MBit WAN connection.
Have you considered seeding the job?
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Mårten Edelbrink

[MERGED] Failed to merge full backup file Error: There is an

Post by Marten_med_e »

My support case number 01829880

Several of my backup copy jobs fails with error, "Failed to merge full backup file Error: There is an item with the specified name and another type."
After sending log files to support I got some SQL script to run to correct this as this is a known issue, said and done, I did run the scripts and restarted the failing backup copy jobs, some of them worked after the "quick fix" but some didn't.

I was, after some more investigation asked if I was using per-VM mode for the jobs that was not cured with the "quick fix" and yes they do, but so does also the jobs that was fixed with the "quick fix". After some days one of the working jobs stopped working and was failing again with "Failed to merge full backup file Error: There is an item with the specified name and another type." again, one job is still working.

So I was told "Senior engineers are currently working on fix but we don't have an estimated time for it. A general recommendation for such cases is currently starting the new chain for the affected job.", it turns out that this known issue at this time don't have a persistent fix for per-VM job, bummer. But at this moment there is noting else to do than start a new chain and wish the jobs will behave throughout the summer.

Cheers,
Mårten
mickeybyte
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Michiel Peene

Re: Failed to merge full backup file Error: There is an item

Post by mickeybyte »

Since several weeks I have the same issue. It started during my vacation. Just started looking at the problem now. Any new updates on this?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Michiel, apparently this is fixed in the fresh Veeam B&R v9 Update 2.
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast

Post by Marten_med_e »

After installation of update 2, my problem with this still exists, will try to get support to reopen my case and regenerate the SQL scripts (that didn't provide a persistent fix) maybe it will be persistent with update 2.

Cheers,
Mårten
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast

Post by Marten_med_e »

Just realized that I'm missing an "open" button on closed support cases, so I did create a new support case asking for reopen the original support case, new case # is 01880167.

Cheers,
Mårten
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, opening a case is recommended in this case. Thanks.
mickeybyte
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Michiel Peene

Post by mickeybyte » 1 person likes this post

Just a quick follow up.
I submitted a support case (01876276).
First they let me do a active full, but at the second copy job run, the same error came back. The next support engineer came up with 2 solutions, 1) active full, 2) known bug...
well, option 1 apparently didn't work, so I sent a backup of the DB to support and they've sent me 3 sql scripts back to run on the DB. Except for the missing dash in one of the scripts, i managed to get them complete successfully and the first run of my copy job succeeded after about 12 hours of creating restorepoints and GFS rollups. Since then, copy job has been running fine for 4 days now.
I'm still running v9 update 1. The support engineer did not ask me to upgrade to update 2. So I guess I'll update asap before it fails again.

Michiel.
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

[MERGED] GFS Copy Job failing because of (not really) corrup

Post by dasfliege »

Hi Guys

My Company maintains several Veeam installations for our customers in several different versions and configurations. Therefore, i already saw a lot of different issues with the software, which (based on my internet research) no one other is facing.
One issue that i now encountered for like 5th time (in different environements), are GFS Copy Jobs that produce corrupt chains. From one day to another, they are not able to generate/consolidate FULL backupfiles and throw the error: "Failed to merge full backup file Error: There is an item with the specified name and another type." If i search google for EXACTLY this message, i do not get a single hit* I can´t believe, that its always just us, that are facing problems, no one other had before. Therefore i wanted to ask the community, if someone else knows these problems with GFS CopyJobs?

The solution for this problem is:
- Open Case at Veeam Support
- Upload DB Dump
- Upload Job Logs
- Upload Screenshot of the files from the corrupt repository / chain
- Wait for an SQL-Query from Veeam Support
- DB Backup
- Apply SQL Query
- Restart CopyJob

My Case number for the most recent one is: 01891506

In my opinion, it is not an acceptable behavior for a "backup solution", if it failes to generate GFS backups over a few weeks without facing errors. We also have tons of problems with GFS tapebackup, but thats another point...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If the issue still persists after upgrading to Veeam B&R v9 Update 2, please continue looking into the root cause with support.
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

Post by dasfliege »

Hi foggy

As you've probabaly seen, i do not get the exact same message as other people in this post. That's why i opened a new thread. (others get error about "there is a FOLDER item", while for me the problem is not a "FOLDER").
Also it seems like my problems are a bit more complicated. Just received the message from Support, that my case was escalated. Keep you updated about the solution, if there is any..
wojciech.bajorek
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Wojciech Bajorek

Post by wojciech.bajorek »

Hi,

Yesterday evening, one of my Veeam servers thrown identical error - I saw this also for the first time:
Full backup file merge failed
Error: There is an item with the specified name and another type.
Checked files on VBR and it seems that there are two identical files with different extension:
7.1T Aug 30 22:54 backup_by_all_daily2016-07-18T230050.vbk
2.3G Sep 1 12:48 backup_by_all_daily2016-07-18T230050.vib (time stamp is fresh because of Retry)

I installed Update 2 about 1-2 days after GA, so installation is up to date.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

dasfliege wrote:As you've probabaly seen, i do not get the exact same message as other people in this post. That's why i opened a new thread. (others get error about "there is a FOLDER item", while for me the problem is not a "FOLDER").
Also it seems like my problems are a bit more complicated. Just received the message from Support, that my case was escalated. Keep you updated about the solution, if there is any..
At least one of the posters in this thread has reported exactly the same message as you have and I believe they are related, so decided to merge. Anyway, continue working with support is highly recommended and I will appreciate you updating the thread.
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Hello,

I decided to merge since I am seeing exactly the same message the other posters already reported in this thread:

==================================================
13/01/2017 15:14:34 :: Failed to merge full backup file Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.OverbuildIncrement}: There is an folder item with the specified name and another type.
==================================================

Case # is 02037751 and the customer is running v9.5 RTM. The support engineer pointed me to KB1885 and suggests that we start a new backup set for the copy job towards cloud connect without any additional information. Unfortunately this copy job has been seeded a few months ago and it would require a new seed.

Has anybody been able to investigate and find the root cause of this issue with support ?

Thanks and Regards,
Massimiliano
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Massimiliano, I've checked a couple of cases mentioned in the thread, all of them mention that v9 Update 2 fixes the issue. I recommend the customer escalating the case to a higher tier to verify whether the issue is exactly the same and is back in v9.5.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

massimiliano.rizzi wrote:the customer is running v9.5 RTM
By the way, this is not a supported build for customers to run, so this could be the issue.
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

My bad: version is 9.5.0.711 (GA) :oops:
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

foggy wrote:Massimiliano, I've checked a couple of cases mentioned in the thread, all of them mention that v9 Update 2 fixes the issue. I recommend the customer escalating the case to a higher tier to verify whether the issue is exactly the same and is back in v9.5.
Hi Foggy,

thank you for your reply.

I have just sent a reply to the engineer asking to escalate the case in order to verify whether the issue addressed in v9 Update 2 is back in v9.5.

I will keep you posted.

Massimiliano
hotadd
Lurker

Post by hotadd »

One little note here.

There are two errors appearing in this thread:

There is an folder item with the specified name and another type.
There is an item with the specified name and another type.

These are quite different.
bulletlynn
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Nick Lynn

Post by bulletlynn »

Case #02060464

Support looked at it for 3 days and couldn't come up with anything.

Here is the work around I used to get the backup copy to merge and not have to reseed the whole backup copy job.

Errors in Veeam Console
Failed to generate points Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.OverbuildIncrement}: There is an folder item with the specified name and another type.
Failed to merge full backup file Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.OverbuildIncrement}: There is an folder item with the specified name and another type.

If you dig into the Backup Copy Job logs you can see the merge is failing on a specific VM.

Error Invoke failed. Command: 'Transform.OverbuildIncrement', parameters: {(EString) IncLink=veeamfs:-1:ead5cd42-df82-4fa2-ac5f-f6835b246d9e (vm-164)/VMNAME_1-flat.vmdk

In Veeam, under the Backups location, I found the Backup Copy job, selected the problem VM and deleted from disk. This looks to remove all restore points of that VM from the DB.

The merge has been running successfully now but still playing catch up. I will report back if anymore issues arise.

Not a true fix but better than reseeding the backup copy job. Looks like a potential bug.
MCrown90
Novice

[MERGED] Failed to generate restore points error

Post by MCrown90 »

Case # 02212001

Hi all, receiving this error and wanted to see if anyone has experience with it while I work with support to resolve it.

Context is that the Veeam Backup server hung while merging an incremental copy job. I'm now receiving an error message when the job attempts to merge following another backup copy.

Code: Select all

07/07/2017 09:31:09 :: Failed to merge full backup file Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.OverbuildIncrement}: There is an folder item with the specified name and another type.

07/07/2017 09:31:50 :: Failed to create restore point 02/05/2017 16:00:00  

07/07/2017 09:46:02 :: Failed to generate points Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.OverbuildIncrement}: There is an folder item with the specified name and another type.

07/07/2017 09:46:02 :: Failed to create restore points  
Many thanks in advance.