Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
t481
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

[Q] Getting Spectra Logic T120 library to work

Post by t481 »

Hi
I have a Spectra Logic T120 library with 2 LTO7 drives visible to my proxy server which doubles up as my tape server. Veeam B&R seems to recognise the drives on their own as two IBM Ultrium HH7 tapes 0 and 1 but not the actual library. What do I need to do to enable it to see the library itself?
t481
Enthusiast

Re: [Q] Getting Spectra Logic T120 library to work

Post by t481 »

Just wanted to add that the library is configured to appear as SPECTRA PYTHON
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

Might be a driver issue. What do you see in device manager?
t481
Enthusiast

Post by t481 »

Just the two drives. I did some search and found the post about the T50e and I don't seem to have a "Media changer" device listed under my device manager. The drives themselves have been installed with the latest drivers from the IBM website as directed by Spectra Logic.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Looks indeed like a driver problem. Make sure that both drive and media changer drivers are installed and reflected in Windows Device Manager correctly.

Feel free to open a ticket with our support team in case you need an assistance.

Thanks.
t481
Enthusiast

Post by t481 »

So I've managed to fix the issue of the Media Changer not showing and Veeam is now seeing the library. However, the tapes are showing as standalone alongside "Spectra Python 2000". I've unchecked the box "Use native SCSI commands instead of Windows drivers", added the registry key "TapeDevices" with the value "Changer0=Tape0,Tape1,Tape2,Tape3,Tape4,Tape5" and rebooted but they're still showing as standalone. I thought SpectraLogic were Veeam partners! Surely there's an easy way to do this. What am I doing wrong?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Kindly, reach our support team for further assistance, as it's rather hard to solve configuration problems via forum correspondence. Thanks.
t481
Enthusiast

Post by t481 »

@v.Eremin. I have and your support team is just as puzzled as I am at the lack of drivers and having to use "Native SCSI commands". The library keeps going offline and like I said, they are having to edit the registry to get it to work. It is currently being looked at so I am not complaining about your support team. They have been brilliant. It is the symbolic partnership between Spectra Logic and Veeam that seems fruitless. I am hoping you will be able to address this with your partners to resolve this lack of "native" drivers issue.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Could you share a ticket number with us, so that, we can check the issue internally?
borismittelmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Boris Mittelmann

Post by borismittelmann »

I just ran into same issue with SpectraLogic T950 / 2x IBM LTO7 drives connected to W2016 Tape Server. Spectra has no W2016 OEM drivers so even though library in Tape Infrastructure is shown Spectra Python 2000, drives are shown separately. RegKey didn't help at all. Case # 03023369.
borismittelmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Boris Mittelmann

Post by borismittelmann »

Juct quick update - issue solved in close co-operation with SpectraLogic partner.
They guided us with reinstallation of SpectraLogic drivers. After that SpectraLogic autochanger was displayed in Device Manager correctly and after UNCHECKING using native SCSI commands everything works fine.

Bo.