Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mechmike10
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Schnierle

Is there a size limit to backup target directory?

Post by mechmike10 »

I have a Windows 10 computer running Veeam Endpoint Free. It is set to backup nightly to another Windows 10 computer over an Ethernet network. It has been working fabulously well until last night. It has started returning an error stating that the network path was not found (to the backup target, presumably). The server is present on the network, I can log into it remotely from the computer I am attempting to backup. I have another Windows 10 machine that also backs up to the same physical drive, albeit a different directory; that backup functioned normally. The main differences between the computer that backed up normally and the one that failed are the one that worked is only about 152 GB (the entire backup directory), whereas the one that failed is 1.23 Tb (the entire directory). Also, the computer that had the backup fail has three physical drives, of which two are bitlockered. The computer that did backup has one physical drive that is open. Lastly, after this happened, I created a new directory on the same target drive as the directory that could not be found, and started a backup. It is cranking along without complaint. I am left wondering if there is a size limit to the backup target directory.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Is there a size limit to backup target directory?

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Hello Mike,
If there is a max repository size I doubt you hit it :-)
I am not aware of a set maximum size. It sounds like there was some sort of connection issue during the backup job run. I would definitely start by using the Control Panel and submitting a case with logs for the support team to review. Once you have done that post your Case ID back in this thread and Veeam will track it.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Is there a size limit to backup target directory?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There are no limits on the backup repository, but take a look a this topic which might shed some light on the observed behavior > 1 server failing. In short, try to set a different schedule for all your backup jobs or point all backup jobs to some higher-end backup storage, otherwise these kind of issues on the backup target might be expected.