Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Retention 12 mos. - Expires In Never?

Post by rreed »

Morning, all. v9.0.0.1491 Simple media pool, retention is to protect data for 12 months. Pull tapes from Free pool as needed. Do not create media set, always use the current set.

All tapes pulled into this pool and written are set to expire Never. Is there a fix for this please, so that when it's written it will expire say, 12 months (or whatever we select) from when it gets written? While 12 months from the last date it gets data written would be best, I can completely understand if it's more realistic to begin the expire date from the first time it gets data written. Currently I have to manually go through by hand, browse the files on the tape, eyeball the dates, and add a note to indicate when it expires.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Retention 12 mos. - Expires In Never?

Post by Shestakov »

If you`ve selected 'protect from overwrite' option on a tape, it will not be rewritten in spite of retention(protection period) you`ve chosen in the job`s settings.
rreed wrote:While 12 months from the last date it gets data written would be best, I can completely understand if it's more realistic to begin the expire date from the first time it gets data written.
The tape protection period will start once it`s full not from the moment it has the first backup written on it.
Thanks!
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

So for my vault, I do have "protect all tapes moved to this media vault automatically." Is that to what you're referring? What about the tapes that are still online/in the library? I have several in there now that are full and their expiration is Never.

I also have another media pool w/ same settings as my one year - only retention period is different. All those tapes have a valid "Expires In" date on them. Some are offline (in vault), some are online. It appears we're getting inconsistent results w/ only difference in pools being mos. vs. weeks retention period?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Also, looking at my Protected tapes, some have an expiration date, some are Never.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

rreed wrote:What about the tapes that are still online/in the library? I have several in there now that are full and their expiration is Never.
You can right-click on those tapes and choose "Protect" option to prevent overwriting.
rreed wrote:Also, looking at my Protected tapes, some have an expiration date, some are Never.
There are several ways to protect tapes from overwriting, sending them offline is one option, make them protected as explained above is another and temporary protection period is a third.
Do you use Veeam ONE by the way? There is Tape Media Retention Period report which can by handy here.