Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Khue
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Migrated from P4500 to Cisco HyperFlex HX - Slow Performance

Post by Khue »

We recently switched our environment from a pair of HP DL 380 G7s backended by iSCSI based P4500G2s to a Cisco HyperFlex HX system. I have a proxy server in the site that backs up to a DD2200. I finally finished migrating everything but the backups are not going well. The transfer rate is great, but between transfers there's a lot of hanging. For example, in one backup, I have 6 servers. 2 servers kick off and backup sequentially and both reach 99% really quickly. They get to 99% and then just hang. I can see disk 1 gets backed up on both servers and that the proxy is using hotadd. After it hits 99% it just hangs. I have opened a ticket with Veeam (#0190401) and we are just going through basic troubleshooting right now but I wanted to see if anyone else is using Cisco HyperFlex HX and Veeam 8 (currently using Veeam 8.0.0.2084). Anyone have any thoughts on where I should begin?
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: Migrated from P4500 to Cisco HyperFlex HX - Slow Perform

Post by chrisdearden »

I would upgrade to v9 update 2 and take advantage of the direct NFS support for hyperflex.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I would not recommend the use of hotadd for Cisco HX datastores. Hotadd has some locking challenges with NFS datastores. I'd suggest setting your proxies to use NBD/Network mode or, as Chris has already mentioned, upgrade to v9 Update 2 and configure Direct NFS.
Khue
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by Khue »

Yeah I am working on it now. Am I going to need to migrate my existing 8.0 licensing to 9.0?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You would need to obtain new licenses for v9.