Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LampchenKo
Influencer
Liked: never

Copy Specific Full Backup to Tape / Access share on ExaGrid

Post by LampchenKo »

Hi, Everyone...

I have two situations:

1) I need to copy some backups to tape, but they need to be from a specific date so my question is if I can copy a Full Backup from the needed date to tape and not the most recent Chain ?
2) I also need to copy that specific job to an HDD, my backup Storage is an Exagrid and all the shares are set up as Veeam Accelerated Data Mover. Is there a way I can access those shares and copy that specific date backup job to copy it Manually to the HDD ? Will it work if I need to restore from that job or is there a way to do it thru Veeam ?

Also to mention, both copies will need to never expire.

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Copy Specific Full Backup to Tape / Access share on ExaG

Post by Dima P. »

Hi LampchenKo,
I need to copy some backups to tape, but they need to be from a specific date so my question is if I can copy a Full Backup from the needed date to tape and not the most recent Chain ?
Yes you can write a specific backup to tape as a regular file using file to tape job
Is there a way I can access those shares and copy that specific date backup job to copy it Manually to the HDD ? Will it work if I need to restore from that job or is there a way to do it thru Veeam ?
Can you access Exagrid as a regular shared folder and copy the .vbk and it's .vbm files to any other location?
LampchenKo
Influencer

Post by LampchenKo »

Hi, Dima P.

Thanks, I just saw the option File to Tape Job and it lets me get into my ExaGrid server and choose the specific file. About the second case, I am not able to access the share but I think that if I do a File Copy of the specific backup file as if it was the tape will work. If not, I can always use the restore VM files option from that point of time.
LampchenKo
Influencer

Post by LampchenKo »

One more question. Do I need both the .VBM and .VBK files to copy in order to recover ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can recover without VBM (and even without Veeam B&R itself), however, it speeds up import of the entire backup chain into Veeam B&R.
LampchenKo
Influencer

Post by LampchenKo »

Great, thanks for the answers.