Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rnt-guy
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: RNT-Guy

Changing block size breaks chain?

Post by rnt-guy »

Hello,

We have been backing up to one repository and copying to another. Now were' going to copy to an offsite DD instead.

Is there any value in changing the storage optimization to WAN? I've read changing this could break the chain, not sure if that's still true.

My understanding is that this will improve dedup cability of the storage for the backup, but not affect the DD's dedupe since it will break it up into it's own blocks anyway.

Do I need to run a new active full?

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Changing block size breaks chain?

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I've read changing this could break the chain, not sure if that's still true.
It's partially true - it does not break the chain by itselfm however requires you to do so to make the new settings effective.
Is there any value in changing the storage optimization to WAN?
Storage optimization to WAN would give you a better dedupe ratio, allowing you to reduce the amount of traffic over WAN with backup job. In your case it is backup copy job over WAN and backups have been already deduped by the primary job thus the amount of traffic won't change significantly. In other words, yes, it can improve dedup ability of the primary storage for the backup and won't affect the DD's dedupe, however can affect the performance of the latter during restores.

Thanks
rnt-guy
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: RNT-Guy

Post by rnt-guy »

Thanks. By 'breaking the chain' are you saying I need to run a new Active full on the copy job AND the backup source job? Or just the source?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Just source.

Thank you.