Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
YeinYein
Novice
Liked: never

Quick Migration vs dvSwitch

Post by YeinYein »

Hello,

I need to migrate VMs between 2 differents vCenter that are not using the same SSO. As vMotion/Storage vMotion will not be usable, I thought to Quick Migration.

The problem is that the destination uses dvSwitch while source use standard vSwitch. On the new vCenter, I created a Port Group in the dvSwitch with the same name as the VM Port group in the source vCenter.

But, in the vmx, the dvSwitch information uses id and not name :

Code: Select all

ethernet0.dvs.switchId = "56 02 2d 50 89 89 7b dc-28 47 81 ab 3c f3 aa 6b"
ethernet0.dvs.portId = "11"
ethernet0.dvs.portgroupId = "dvportgroup-57"
ethernet0.dvs.connectionId = "444344873"
Do you think it is possible to use Quick Migration in this case ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Re: Quick Migration vs dvSwitch

Post by lando_uk »

If you use Replication, rather than Quick Migration, this will let you change the target network.
YeinYein
Novice

Post by YeinYein »

Thanks for your answer but replication will generate a downtime bigger than Quick Migration.

In order to reduce to reduce this downtime I initially thought to Planned Failover before thinking to Quick Migration
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Haven't tested, but my assumption is that Quick Migration should complete fine and you will be able to change network settings manually right after that.
YeinYein
Novice

Post by YeinYein »

Yes that's exactly what happened, but in a wonderful world, I (I mean, my customer) would not like to do other than launch QuickMigration and found his VM on the new vCenter

But in definitive, instead of move VM by VM, I will put couple of VM on a host, disconnect this host from the old vCenter and connect it to the new one. Then I will move the VMs by vMotion/Storage vMotion and put back the host in the old vCenter. And I repeat operations with another VMs.

I think it will be the less disruptive way to move VMs for the users
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

YeinYein wrote:Yes that's exactly what happened, but in a wonderful world, I (I mean, my customer) would not like to do other than launch QuickMigration and found his VM on the new vCenter
Looks like feature request.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

YeinYein wrote:Yes that's exactly what happened, but in a wonderful world, I (I mean, my customer) would not like to do other than launch QuickMigration and found his VM on the new vCenter

But in definitive, instead of move VM by VM, I will put couple of VM on a host, disconnect this host from the old vCenter and connect it to the new one. Then I will move the VMs by vMotion/Storage vMotion and put back the host in the old vCenter. And I repeat operations with another VMs.

I think it will be the less disruptive way to move VMs for the users
Just so you know, this is exactly the operation I did 3 years ago for a customer to migrate from one vsphere infrastructure to a completely new one. We selected one large host so that it could hold 20-40 VMs at the same time, and within one day we were able to move 300 VMs with zero downtime at all.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1