rogerdu
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Roger Dufour

Restoring from Offsite Repository

Post by rogerdu »

I have configured Backup copies (2) in teh following manner:
- Original backup - Local Backup repository
- Local Backup Copy - based on Original Backup, Copy to Local SOBR, 7 year retention on monthly fulls
- Remote Backup Copy - based on Original Backup, Copy to remote SOBR, 7 year retention on monthly fulls

I am trying to do a restore from the Remote Backup Copy to the remote ESXi server (as a seed for replication)... How would I initiate the restore (IE how do I select the backup image in the remote SOBR)?

OR am I in trouble... I just read this from the manual...
If you select a backup job as a source for the backup copy job, Veeam Backup & Replication will only copy restore points created by this very backup job. Veeam Backup & Replication will not perform search in other backup repositories.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restoring from Offsite Repository

Post by foggy »

Not sure where the confusion comes from. You just select the corresponding backup and click Restore or, even more simple, you can specify the remote repository to be used for replica seeding right in the replication job.
rogerdu
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Roger Dufour

Post by rogerdu »

Thanks Foggy, but it appears that one cannot use a SOBR as a seed... I tried. I'll try again though and report back.

It is as I thought... I can only select the 2 "regular" Backup Repositories... I cannot use a Scale Out Backup Repository as a seed source... Intended? Bug?

The restore thing seems to be working this time... it helps when you attempt to restore from the right source... thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You're correct, missed that. However you can perform restore manually prior to running replication.