Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Replication - Change DNS Only

Post by rreed »

Afternoon. We're replicating VM's from each of our two data centers over to the other. Works great. Each has its own vlan/subnet for everything so no need to change IP's - we simply have its vlan already setup in a "cold" state on the other side. We don't need to change IP's but do need to change DNS servers so when the VM's arrive in the failover data center, they're using local DNS instead of trying to reach back to their original (which of course could be gone at that point).

Re-IP doesn't seem to allow me to just say *.*.*.* for IP address/subnet mask, changing only DNS. It wants me to put in an IP address. I have grouped multiple VM's from different subnets into single jobs. Is there a way to have re-IP change only DNS servers please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Re: Replication - Change DNS Only

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

We'll see what the official Veeam guys say, but why not add all of the DNS servers to your VMs and when/if they are failed over, they will try to connect to non-existent servers and then move down the list to get to the DR servers that are available.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

We do already have primary as its normally running local DNS server, and secondary as what becomes the failover DNS server, but would like to have VBR swap them for us for quicker response times.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I believe if you configure the rule for each subnet with the same IP address/subnet for the source and target, but different DNS settings, it should work as required.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Ah, hey look at that, you can create multiple Re-IP rules for a given job! Thanks foggy, sorry I didn't even notice that before. :D
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Let us know if it finally works. ;)
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Yep, like a champ. I just enter a rule for each subnet (luckily we don't have a bunch, yet) and keep all IP's the same, just flip DNS. Works great, even puts it back when failing back. Many thanks again, sorry I should have looked around a little more before hollering first.

To that point though, it would be great if you could have a set of global Re-IP rules w/ some options. Entering all our subnets for each job got a little tedious, but admittedly I didn't look into a way to script it.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Re-IP rules can be configured via PowerShell indeed. Take a look at those cmdlets. Thanks.