Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: qq

Backup Copy with CloudConnect

Post by 20100 »

Hi

We had backup on disk followed with tape copy. We replaced the tape copy with backup copy using CloudConnect.
We seems to have a timing issue the way it is setup, so I would like to have your input for the best practise, probably around the scheduling.

At the moment, the backup job starts at 6:30PM and finished at 7:30PM. it is set to run every days
The Copy Job starts at 8:30PM. It is set to copy every days and the job cab transfer data any time

Some times, the reports shows that the Copy Job failed because some VM did not get copied with "Copy interval has expired, Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval"

Also, let's say that the backup and copy were started on Tuesday night, when we got the reports on the Wednesday, we got the report for Tuesday backup but for the Monday copy, which is confusing.
Ideally, we would like the reports for both jobs from the prior night.

Looking at the copy job during the day, which is in iddle status, I can see that some VM are in pending status and other in success status.

What is the correct way to setup the start time for the copy job, to get an accurate report on the morning and also ensuring that all VM have been copied as per backup?

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup Copy with CloudConnect

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

The failure message itself means that the job didn't get enough time to copy all the required data within the copy interval. So this would mean that 1 day (if I understand your interval / scheduling correctly) isn't enough to get the job done. Is it always the same? Because, when it is the initial job (which means a full going to the CC) this might be the problem. If it are already the incremental's, then 1 day normally should be enough...

Can you give us a bit more information?

Mike
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

If you are doing the initial seeding of a full backup, one suggestion is to extend the interval for example to 1 week, in this way Veeam will restart the backup copy each day from the point it left, and it will eventually catch up with the full backup that exists. Once the full is completed, you can reduce the interval to daily as then only the incrementals will be sent over internet.
If not even a single day is enough to copy an incremental, we have additional optimizations that can be put in place, but let's first see as Mike said some more information to be sure we are discussing about the right topic.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Enthusiast

Post by 20100 »

The seed had already been performed a week ago and restored. The issues with the daily copy (incremental) is not occurring every days. For example, the report this morning indicates that everything was OK, but it is the report from 2 nights ago. Overall, the copy with CloudConnect seems to take between 2 to 4 hours.
Looking at the copy job in Idle status this morning, the job progress shows 73%. The first 6 VM are 'pending' and the rest are 'success'. Looking at these VM in 'pending' mode, the action is 'Latest restore point is already copied'. For these VM in 'Success" mode, the action is "Waiting for the new restore points"

So I think we have 2 issues. If I exclude the one when it comes with errors (only happened twice in 2 weeks), I have the feeling that the copy is not started/timed properly in regards to the backup job.
I will change the starting time from 8:30PM to 10AM. Hopefully it will pick up the new restore points generated from 7:30PM and the report should come at 10AM with the results from the previous day to match the backup report.
I will let you know tomorrow if that was the fix!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes, that would be great. Otherwise we probably need to dive deeper to find the underlying cause

Keep us informed
thanks
Mike
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

At the moment, the backup job starts at 6:30PM and finished at 7:30PM. it is set to run every days. The Copy Job starts at 8:30PM.
I will change the starting time from 8:30PM to 10AM.
If you want for backup copy job to synchronize a new restore point as soon as it appears, then, you need to schedule sync interval a bit later than backup job starts. In your case, 6:35 PM or something.
Enthusiast

Post by 20100 »

Well last night reports shows that all VM had Success, but only the first 5 transferred data. all the other had 0.0KB transferred.
Looking at the copy job on Veeam server, I can see that except for the first 5 VM, the status is 'pending'

The whole thing is very confusing. If the job is set to copy every 1 day, and is scheduled to run any time (continuously) it should copy all the new VM that have been backed. My original starting was 1 hour after backup completion. I changed to the following morning. but it is the same issue.
I will follow Vladimir advise and change to 5mn after the start of the backup to see if that makes a difference
If it is still the same issue on Monday, I will log a case with Support

Thanks
Enthusiast

Post by 20100 »

Just another thought: if the copy starts 5mn after the start of the backup, won't the 2 processes be much slower, running at the same time, and possibly waiting for some locks as it both access the sane repository?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

The job will kick off when the restore point is created, not running at the same time so no worries about that. Please follow Vladimir's advice and let's look what Monday says. (PS: Happy weekend ;-))
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

if the copy starts 5mn after the start of the backup, won't the 2 processes be much slower
Nope, they won't. A backup copy job will be just sitting in idle state, waiting for a new restore point to be created. A restore point will be synchronized by backup copy job, as soon as it's created. Thanks.