Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
jrohrauer
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Johannes Rohrauer

Agent useable for P2V?

Post by jrohrauer »

Greetings,

I am in planing a migration of several productive Linux boxes from physical to virtual (ESXi). There are some approaches, all are more or less working/easy to accomplish, but recently I thought it might work to restore a backup onto a virtual machine, readjust mount points and eth-settings and voila - all good? Anybody able to confirm this is working? This would speed things up significantly for me...

Cheers
Johannes
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Agent useable for P2V?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

This is something that has been tried by our QA team, no issues so far. The product was designed to backup and restore linux host no matter where it resides on and where it is restored to. In other words I expect no difficulties with that and I'm quite interested to hear about the results should you decide to try it!

Thanks!
jrohrauer
Influencer

Post by jrohrauer »

That´s great news, thanks! ETA for my new equipment is Nov, 2nd. I will immediately set it up and will give it a try on a weekend. I will come back here to report!
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Please provide some info about the servers that are going to be migrated because some additional tweaking might be required. Please note that Linux Agent is still in BETA2 status so I can give you no warranties and strongly recommend you to pick the lightest and less busy server to start with.

Thanks
jrohrauer
Influencer

Post by jrohrauer » 3 people like this post

Hi all,

over the weekend I was able to successfully and flawlessly convert a linux machine (P2V). IT was an older HP Proliant DL380 (maybe G4, I don´t know). The HP served as our mailarchive server and mysql cluster host. Dovecot, Postfix, Samba, Apache2, MySQL - all running. I had roughly 850GB of data. I simply made a backup with all services stopped, created a new VM with one big, slightly larger disk and bootet the ISO. Restore was quite quick, all went through, after booting the machine I was back in business immediatelly.
I assume that one would need to adjust the network config in some circumstances (if VM gives you an ethX and you had an enp5.....), but for me everything worked flawlessly out-of-the-box.

Just wanted to let you know...

Cheers
Johannes
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

I assume that one would need to adjust the network config in some circumstances (if VM gives you an ethX and you had an enp5.....), but for me everything worked flawlessly out-of-the-box.
When dealing with migration of older systems one should always remember that MAC address of the old hardware might be still present in different places (70-persistent-net.rules, /etc/network/interfaces, ifcfg-<interface-name>) causing the migrated system to behave strange.

Thanks for bringing good news!
tacioandrade
Enthusiast
Full Name: Tácio Andrade

Post by tacioandrade » 1 person likes this post

I did a little migration test from Virtualbox to VMWare and it worked perfectly, I just had to remove the drivers from Virtualbox so there would be no problem.
I had the same idea when I used the Endpoint backup for P2V on Windows, as well as Proxmox V2V for XenServer and ESX 4.5