Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tsc70
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: tsc70

FR: DST move forward handles not skipping jobs

Post by tsc70 »

While preparing for the Daylight saving time clocks moving backwards this weekend I was wondering what would happen during a DST move forward 1 hour in Veeam, it seems from a couple of other threads I have read that a job scheduled to start during the hour that never happens (as the clocks move forward and skip it) would cause the backup job to be skipped too. I was trying to work out the best way to handle this to save the Ops teams some time when this occurs, I'm not 100% sure how the feature would work but something like either of the following:

1)Veeam could pull in data about time zone changes and then at X time before a DST move foward (perhaps a week) send an alert email that Job Y will be skipped due to DST change and allow you to set a custom one off time that this job should be run just during the DST change weekend - with the option of doing this exact same thing for this Job next time a DST move forward happens. For a time when a year later it is going to do the same substitute time change it should also email X time before that it is about to do this just in case scheduled tasks / busy times of a VM have changed
2) Veeam could pull in data about time zone changes and then only during DST time changes forward run two clocks - one 'beforeDST' and one 'afterDST' and then for jobs scheduled to run during the skipped hour still run them at the point they were scheduled during the 'before DST' clock
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request: DST move forward handles not skipping j

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

Honestly, I am not sure what happens with the job if the time clock jumps one hour forward. None of my jobs are actually configured to start between 02.00 and 03.00 :-) but when you have jobs starting at specific intervals, this indeed might happen...

I read your feature request, but I am thinking more generally for this one. If a job is skipped (for example, because the server was down for maintenance, DST move, any other reason why it was skipped or not started...) B&R should detect this and start the job anyway even if the schedule is missed... I might need to take this to the discussion table :-)

Thoughts?

Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

If either timezone changes or clocks are moved forward/backwards, the backup job will not be triggered. I don't think that triggering a backup job after changing time or even dates would be a good idea, as imagine you move date to 1 week forward... it will create a total mess in the jobs (as they will start to catch up on the missed data points). Anyway, I see your point and agree that it should be handled somehow.

Current solution to your problem is pretty simple (but it requires Veeam ONE). If you have Veeam ONE deployed, then use a pre-configured alarm for VMs with missed RPO ("VM with no backups"). If backup job misses its schedule (for any reason), then this alarm will be raised and as a post alarm action you can select to start this backup job (outside the schedule).

Hope this helps!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Why would you move the date 1 week? This never happens in real life. However, DST switches happen twice a year. I think this is really a missing feature that is border line bug (support for DST time switches in job scheduler).