Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tschulian
Novice
Liked: never

Backup Fails due to 2TB VBK File exceeded

Post by tschulian »

Hey,
I extented my Partitions on our Fileserver. As a result, our VBK Files created by our daily veeam backups fails due to os limitations of filesize...
Is there any way to tell Veeam Backup&Replication 7 ( 7.0.0.871 ) to split backups?

I tried to make multi-Backups per Server per DISK, but veeam does not accept this settings or I am doing it wrong

May some1 of you could verify this?

I think the Red Bubbles are matching together. But when I do it like this, my Backup Size is caclulated without any change...
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Fails due to 2TB VBK File exceeded

Post by Shestakov »

Hi tschulian and welcome to the community!
You can backup volumes separately. By the way, version 7 is more than 3 years old now. I would definitely suggest you to upgrade, since newer version are much more scalable and work fine even with 90TB VMs.
Thanks!
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

If I recall correctly, back in v7 the backup size listed in the job UI didn't take disk exclusions into account.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

By the way, the option was available back in v7.
Thanks!
hoFFy
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Post by hoFFy »

Hi tschulian,

as a personal best practice I always create one vmdk per guest OS partition. That way I'm always able to expand the VMDKs and the partitions in the guest without the need of using third party software to expand partitions inside the guests. Or how would you now expand your C:, D:, and E: if they are full?
If this is a p2v converted VM, then you used the default options of the VMware converter, which does not split the partitions on a single physikal disk (or virtual drive in a raid). But its always worth to do the extra work before converting by assigning seperate vmdks to the partitons.

That being said, the red bubble in your right screenshot presents the same as the left red screenshot, because Veeam uses the VMDKs in its GUI, not the partitions inside the guest. Thats why you see the total size of 2.1TB... its the size of the VMDKs, not the size of the data inside the guest.

If you have enough space I would advise you to do a v2v convert to have seperate VMDKs per Windows partition.

You spoke about 2TB limitations of the os. WHich OS do you mean? The one which is hosting the backup repository?
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
tschulian
Novice

Post by tschulian »

Hey,
thanks for all this answers.

I tried to make exlusions but this wont take affect....

I am getting this Error

"Creating snapshot Error: Datei <unspecified filename> ist größer als die vom Datenspeicher '<unspecified datastore>' unterstützte maximale Größe."
File <unspecified filename> is bigger as the supported maximum size of the Datastorage.

yes my vmdks are truely 2.1TB I just checked it. OK, so the red bubbles match together ...

Yeah, I am new in this company and they are still using version 7.
I need a workaround to backup my 2TB++ disks. Any ideas other than upgrading to 9 ...
regards, and have a nice day!
hoFFy
Service Provider

Post by hoFFy »

Sounds like the size limitations of VMware. Which version of VMware is the host running?
tschulian
Novice

Post by tschulian »

ESXi 5.5 (sorry for delayed replies)
hoFFy
Service Provider

Post by hoFFy »

I think all relevant information is within this VMware KB article: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micro ... Id=2058287
However I'll PM you to find the solution (as we both speak german this could be easier for us). If we'll find a solution I'll post it here for all
hoFFy
Service Provider

Post by hoFFy » 1 person likes this post

I think I've found the reason:
He might be using the VM on an upgraded VMFS5 (former VMFS3) volume, or its a native VMFS5 volume wich has been created under vSphere 5.0 / 5.1 resulting in not being able to create files larger than 2 TB. As his VMDK is already at 2TB vSphere won't be able to create a snapshot (which could get as big as its source VMDK) plus the size of the snapshot-metadata resulting in a file bigger than 2TB.

In my opinion he has only some options:
Move all the VMs to another datastore over the weekend and recreate the datastore under native vSphere 5.5, or combine this method with mentioned VMware converter to split his VMDK in several VMDKs to overcome future problems inside the guest (further expanding), or he has to save the snapshots on another datastore which is created under vSphere 5.5

See also:
https://www.veeam.com/kb1091
https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micro ... Id=1012384
https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/searc ... Id=2058287
https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r55 ... ximums.pdf