Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
wiredworm
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Pete West

Health Service Handle Count threshold

Post by wiredworm »

Hi,

We're seeing the above alert with some frequency now.

I've already installed a second collector and then balanced the load between the two we have installed.

Current values for the two collector servers are 22,081 handles and 9,417 handles respectively.

I seem to think from reading elsewhere that these values are actually within the expectations for a Management Server and the suggestion is to simply apply an override and set the threshold to 30,000 instead.

Is this correct please?

Thanks

Pete
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Health Service Handle Count threshold

Post by Mike Resseler »

Pete,

Correct. If I am not mistaken, 10.000 is the default for this monitor, however, this is for environments that have a low amount of objects that are collected (and performance data and etc...). 30.000 is the MSFT recommended value for environments that collect lots of data, such as you do with our management pack. So feel free to override the monitor and make it 30.000

Cheers
Mike
wiredworm
Influencer

Post by wiredworm »

Thanks Mike.
wiredworm
Influencer

Post by wiredworm »

I upped the threshold.

Only to now find that i'm getting alerts because at 30,318 it's exceeding the new threshold.

Any recommendations on the course of action to take in this instance? I've already got 2 collectors running and i've used the UI to balance the load between them. In this case is the only course of action to install yet another collector?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Pete,

Did you use the calculator in the resource kit to look how many collectors you need? It seems that you need more indeed (since the threshold is overwritten again). Could you do this and let us know what the results of that are?

Thanks
Mike