Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
VBON
Lurker
Liked: never

VEEAM an COPY Jobs using a VTL Fujitsu Eternus CS

Post by VBON »

Hello,

we use the nfs shares of a VTL Fujitsu Eternus CS as a backup repository.
With the repository parameters, configured in the Fujitsu Eternus CS, we manage when a backup file will be moved to a physical Tape. When this happend only a meta file remains in the nfs filesystem. We use this for monthly and weekly Copy jobs.
If we want to restore the file ( per VEEAM ) it will be reloaded from tapes.

We have a big problem with copy jobs : when a retention period expires, the copy job 'looks' inside the backup file, but this means that the file will be restored from the tapes... and then delete the file. We thought that the file will be just deleted....
That that takes a very long time for our VM's ! :cry:

We use the parameter : 'Use per-VM backup files' in our repositories.

The VEEAM Support told me that this is a 'feature' for future use and can't be switched off.

Does anybody use a VTL as a backup repository and had the same problems ?

Thank you...
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: VEEAM an COPY Jobs using a VTL Fujitsu Eternus CS

Post by Shestakov »

Hello and welcome to the community!
Could you elaborate on this part:
We have a big problem with copy jobs : when a retention period expires, the copy job 'looks' inside the backup file, but this means that the file will be restored from the tapes... and then delete the file. We thought that the file will be just deleted....
That that takes a very long time for our VM's ! :cry:
To say the truth I didn`t get your point. Do you mean that when backup copy restore points retention is expired, restore points are also deleted from VTL?
Also, could you provide the support case number?
Thanks!
VBON
Lurker

Post by VBON »

Hello ,
the support case number : Case # 01978763, i mean, every time a copy restore points retention is expired, the file will be restored from Tape.
maregg
Lurker
Full Name: marcel egger

Post by maregg »

Hello have you found an solution for your problem ?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Marcel,
In the discussed case the customer wanted to delete all restore points for one VM.
With assistance of our support team restore points have been removed and the case was closed.
After that we made some research:
Andreas Neufert wrote:What was found out:
The Backup Copy Job Target is a CS8800 wich was configured with HSM feature that transport files to tape and leaf a pointer behind to it on the disk storage.
As we work active with our backup files (even at delete) the files were recalled from tape to disk, which lead to IO problems as described in this case.
We do not support any HSM features with our standard backup chains as we work active with our backup files.
Solution which I sent as well to the SE is to use the CS8800 in VTL mode that offloads VTL data to tape in the background.
If customer has no other backup target he needs to do Backup to CS8800 and then use B2T to the VTL part of the CS8800. The CS8800 can then offload the VTL to physical tape.
I would suggest to contact technical support for addressing your case.
Thanks!