Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Tommi
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tommi Wassini

can i switch from incremental to reversed incremental

Post by Tommi »

can i switch from incremental to reversed incremental without running a new Full backup ??

cheers
Tommi
slidek9
Enthusiast
Full Name: Leon

Re: can i switch from incremental to reversed incremental

Post by slidek9 »

Yes you can (rtfm!)
Tommi
Enthusiast

Post by Tommi »

thanks... i belived i could too.. but when i tried it started running a new FULL backup... not cool :)

Tommi
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Tommi, a full backup is required while switching to reversed incremental backup mode. The full run will be automatically triggered at the next job run after switching.

Though if your transformation ("Enable Synthetic fulls") has just completed you may change the backup mode to reversed incremental without having a full pass.
Tommi
Enthusiast

Post by Tommi »

ok great..
thanks for info.. it is really apriciated :)

cheers
Tommi
Tommi
Enthusiast

Post by Tommi »

have to ask..
what about the other way around. from reversed incrememnal to incremental /synthetic full ?? full resync again or ??

cheers
tommi
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you switch from Reversed to Forward Incremental then there is no need to create full backup again, as the latest backup in chain will be already synthetic full.
Tommi
Enthusiast

Post by Tommi »

great.. thanks alot...
cheers
Tommi
jlingg
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Lingg

Switch from Incremental to reverse Incremental

Post by jlingg »

[merged]

Hi - If I switch a backup job from incremental backups to reverse incremental and leave the existing vbk file on the disk - will the backup use the vbk file and create a restore point or will it start from scratch and do a full backup?

thanks
Jason
tjalling
Lurker
Full Name: Tjalling Soldaat

Change "reversed incremental" to "incremental"

Post by tjalling »

[merged]

Hi,
we make backups of our VM's to 2 different types of storage. An NTFS volume on a SAN for fast backups/restores and USB-HD's (USB 2.0) for safe-keeping offsite.

The backups to USB-HD's are slow, so slow that they're interfering with other scheduled backup/replica jobs. This, I know now, is due to the fact that the jobs are configured to make "Reverse Incremental" backups. See Exchange backup speed for more info.

I would like to know what steps I need to take to change the jobs from "Reverse Incremental" to regular incrementals. Does the change mean I have to start my jobs all over again, or can I change the method without destroying my current backups in te process?

Thanks in advance.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Change Backup Mode

Post by lobo519 »

[merged]

Can I change a backup job from reverse incremental to Incremental without losing my current backups?

How would this change impact my current job??

Thanks!
damocue
Veeam ProPartner
Full Name: David Molina

Switching between backup methods

Post by damocue »

[merged]

Hi all,

I know what involves changing from reversed backup to incremental, but from incremental to reversed I don't know.
For example, I have an incremental backup job with synthetic full, but not rollbacks. To get this job converted to a reversed backup job, what should I do without getting a new backup? Get a synthetic full backup with rollbacks for previous backup chain? Or there isn't any option?

Regards,
jumbo23
Influencer
Full Name: Simon Lansley

[Merged] Using the Transform option in v5

Post by jumbo23 »

Hello,

Can somebody please advise if I need to de-select the 'Transform' option or switch from forward incremental to reverse incremental

The situation is as follows:

The client has selected to keep 9 restore points and for the backup to run daily (forward incrementals, synthetic full every saturday). Because the customer wished to then copy the copy the contents of the backup folder to an external USB drive for offsite we wanted to make sure that only one full backup file would be maintained. With this in mind I selected the 'Transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks

When the full synthetic ran on Saturday it created a new vbk and transformed all the earlier vibs to vrbs

I can now see when I look into the backup folder that I have one vbk file, six vrb files and two vib files (created Sunday and this morning)...I would like to maintain the use of reverse incremental backups and thus remove any forwards. What is the best method for achieving this?

Do I deselect 'Transform' and select 'Reversed incremental', keeping synthetic Fulls for Saturday? How will this affect my current backup files?

Many thanks

Simon
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: [Merged] Using the Transform option in v5

Post by veremin »

jumbo23 wrote: Do I deselect 'Transform' and select 'Reversed incremental', keeping synthetic Fulls for Saturday? How will this affect my current backup files?
Hi, Simon.

In fact, you can’t keep synthetic full and “Reversed incremental” at the same. Moreover, it would be useless to have such functionality. Just think for a little bit, for what purpose do you need to take “synthetic full” when in the case of “reversed incremental” in the end of the job you always have full backup of latest state and chain of previous restore points.

And you can find an answer regarding what will happen after your switching to "Reversed incremental" in the posts above.

Thanks.
jumbo23
Influencer
Full Name: Simon Lansley

Post by jumbo23 »

Thanks

Simon
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

[MERGED] Change backup from Incremental to Reverse Increment

Post by m.novelli »

With previous Veeam releases was not recommended to change a Backup Job from Incremental to Reverse Incremental, but was suggested to create a new Backup Job with the new settings.

This recommendation still apply to current Veeam Backup 6.5 release? Most of my customers are using Incremental mode but I would like to go back to Reverse Incremental now that the speed has been tweaked by Development Team

Marco
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [MERGED] Change backup from Incremental to Reverse Incre

Post by foggy »

m.novelli wrote:With previous Veeam releases was not recommended to change a Backup Job from Incremental to Reverse Incremental, but was suggested to create a new Backup Job with the new settings.
Marco, not sure where have you heard such recommendations, this is a pretty common operation. Just be noted that a full backup is required (and will be triggered automatically at the next job run) after switching the job to reversed incremental backup mode.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I too remember that this used to be the case in version 5.0: we did not recommend switching modes. But those issues have long been resolved. Thanks!
mikegodwin
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Godwin

[MERGED] : Changing off-site backup type starts a full job?

Post by mikegodwin »

I had my off-site backup running as reverse incremental, and in the process of troubleshooting some network errors I changed it to forward incremental. I changed it back to reverse incremental after resolving the network issues, and now it says my off-site backup is running a full backup, and it looks like it will take around 11 more days to finish. Is that expected, and is there a way I can reconfigure this so it doesn't have to run a full backup? I still see two previous .vbk files intact on the off-site backup repository. How can I use those to seed the off-site backup? I would really prefer to avoid driving this back to the client's office if at all possible.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

This behaviour is completely expected, since whenever the change from forward to reversed incremental takes place, a new full backup is needed.

And that’s what you actually see in your particular case – after having changed backup modes, full backup is triggered during first job run.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I still see two previous .vbk files intact on the off-site backup repository. How can I use those to seed the off-site backup? I would really prefer to avoid driving this back to the client's office if at all possible.
Yes, you can map your job to the previous .vbk file, thus avoiding run of a new full backup. However, be aware that in this case you will lose all restore points that has been created, since mode changing.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
hongman
Influencer

[MERGED] : Changing Backup Method mid-chain

Post by hongman »

Hi

If I were to have a set of backup jobs using forward incrementals with 1 active full backup a week, then change mid week to reverse incremental (forever incremental)

What would happen?

Would Veeam keep the FI jobs as per retention, and start a brand new RI Full Backup, or will it do something clever like commit all the current incrementals and use that to append the ongoing RI's to?
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Change from VRB to VIB ?

Post by Wad4iPod »

Greetings,
VBR 7 ENT fully patched to current revisions.
We want to change our Reverse Incremental backups to forward incremental with Synthetic fulls on Sunday.

Can we change to job properties to reflect this without needing to perform an active full?

Thank you in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

[MERGED] : Switching from incremental to reverse incremental

Post by ashman70 »

If I switch my backups from incremental to reverse incremental, will it run a full backup for each VM on the next scheduled backup job or will it only do a full backup on the day of the week I have specified for each VM?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Backup server will create a full backup first. Thanks.
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

[MERGED] Change incremental to Rerverse incremental

Post by Robvil »

Hi,

I would like to change my incremental backup to reverse-incremental, so my latest backup file always is a full backup.

Questions:
1. B&R just finished doing a full synthetic backup on 5TB data - will reverse-incremental use this VBK file as a first full instead of duing a full?

Reason I´m asing is bacause i have a copy job to Cloud and it takes many days for a full backup to transfer to Cloud.

Robert
veremin
Product Manager

Re: Change incremental to Rerverse incremental

Post by veremin »

If my memory serves me well, a new full backup gets always created after switching from forward to reversed mode regardless of the latest restore point type. Thanks.
thethommyy
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: KDV Support

[MERGED] Change a running backup-job

Post by thethommyy »

Hallo,

I have created an incremental backup-Job and this Job runs.

Can I change this running Job from "incremental" in "reverse incremantal", without change the other parameters like repository and so on,
or have I create a new Job ?

Thanks for your help !
Thomas
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Change a running backup-job

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Thomas and welcome to the community!

You can switch between backup methods without full recreation of the job.
Please review this article in the User Guide about Switching Between Backup Methods. Thanks!