Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
helman
Influencer
Liked: never

VCB Scripts and VeeamVSS - does it work together?

Post by helman »

I'm a bit confused at the moment.

I have a vm with a custom application that I stopped before backup with the pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts of the Vmware tools (in the backupscripts.d dir).

This works fine but only if application-aware processing is turned off. Once it's turned on, the scripts don't get run at all.

Is this supposed to be correct? I'd love to turn on app-aware processing (and indexing) but still use the freeze and thaw scripts... According to the user guide this should work, but it seems the custom scripts don't get run at all...

I searched the forums and found a hint to look at the hostd.log on the host - there I can see the snapshot being made - but no mention of any scripts (it does get mentioned for the other VMs where VeamVSS is turned off...)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: VCB Scripts and VeeamVSS - does it work together?

Post by Gostev »

Hi, no - they do not work together. But you should not need both. What application are you handling with those scripts?
helman
Influencer

Post by helman »

A bunch of continouus integration servers - those beasts pretty often caused VSS-quiescence to fail - and they come up much nicer with their working directories clean. So shutting them down a few seconds before the snapshot would help backup _and_ restore.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I see. If you actually suspend/shutdown apps with pre-freeze script before taking a snapshot, then you do not really need to enable application-aware processing, as your apps will be in consistent state already when a snapshot is taken...
helman
Influencer

Post by helman »

Thank you :)
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

Post by real_tarantoga »

Hello board,
I'll still recycle this topic. My question is related to it.
Starting with version 5 of Veeam B&R the converted jobs including older Oracle machines get a problem:
The Oracle servers were unchecked under the old "veeam VSS" dialogue, so they used automatically pre/post-freeze scripts - this was essential for putting the data bases in online backup mode, because versions below 10 don't support VSS.
Now I can see that they are always "disabled" under the new "application-aware image processing" dialogue.
BUT there is no VCB script triggered! Ouch!
Do I have to create separate jobs now for these servers?

Thank you, Stefan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for re-using the old thread!

As to your question... then no, you shouldn't re-create the jobs, just make sure you have VMware Tools quiescence checkbox enabled in the advanced settings | advanced tab of your job properties. After the upgrade to v5 this checkbox gets disabled by default.

Thanks!
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

Post by real_tarantoga »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You are sooo right. Thank You, this was exactly what happened to the jobs.
Perhaps I need some better eye glasses - but You didn't mention it in the release notes?! ;)

Nice week-end!
Stefan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well.. glad that we've nailed it! In 5.0.1 update we'll change the default behaviour back to preserve this checkbox during the upgrade procedure. Have a nice weekend, Stefan!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yep, it's a bug with upgrade.