Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Shawn Nix

Active Full on the First of every month

Post by ShawnKPERS »

I have a backup job I need to do incrementals daily but do an active full on the first of every month and then go to tape the last day of that month so I can get the entire month onto tape. I see I can set a tape job to run on whatever is the last day of that month but I don't see an option for the Veeam job to do an active full on the first of every month. Am I missing something or will I just have to use a script to run the active full? If so is there a way in the script to tell the job not to run a daily for that day if runs the full?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Active Full on the First of every month

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Shown,
You are correct, if you want to run active full on the first day of the month you need to leverage powershell script since such a schedule is impossible via UI.
Plus schedule the job runs on desired days to get incrementals.
Thanks!
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast

Post by ShawnKPERS »

Thanks Shestakov for clarifying. That means I will more than likely setup a script that gets ran each day before the incremental gets ran that checks to see what day it is and if it is not the first of the month then the script stops and the job continues for the day. But what about when it is the first, is there a built in procedure in the Veeam comandlets to say this one time just run a full or will I have to take the script out of the job and run it on a scheduled task that runs before the job does and either forces an active full and disables the regular job till it is finished and then re-enables it to avoid running the incremental for that day or do I some how modify the job itself to some how do an active full this one time and then set it back after the job is finished?

I have a few ideas here on how I can accomplish this but they are not as clean as I would like, if anyone is more familiar with a built in Veeam commandlet that was designed to do this and I am able to run the script in the job itself before the job runs itself and avoid putting the script in scheduled task I am all ears.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Shawn, you just need to trigger the script with the help of the scheduled task, that will check the date and either force an active full or a regular job run. You can ask for help in the PowerShell subforum, if required.
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Feature Request: Add "This day" option under Active

Post by ShawnKPERS »

Currently under VBRJob>Storage>Advanced>Backup tab>Active full backup there is a "Monthly on" option and a drop down giving you a number of choices to select a day of the month except there is currently no "This day" option like there is under the Full Backup Schedule found in the tape jobs.

This option would be great to have as there is currently no way to select the first or last day of the month in a standard VBR job allowing a user to do a true monthly job starting at the beginning of the month.
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast

Post by ShawnKPERS »

I get why this got merged to this post since this is the same request I put in months ago but since then I have taken Shestakov's advice and implemented a script in powershell on a scheduled task that runs the backup and does a full on the first of the month but after running it with a script over the last two months I have ran into an issue backing up this job to tape at the end of each month and called support and they said the issue is because I am using a script to run the Veeam backup since Veeam is then not able to see when I run full backups on the job so when it goes to tape it causes issues backing up the proper files and instead creates a synthetic full. So I am trying to again put in a feature request to add the above noted feature.

If you want more details on this issue please check the request I put in last week with the full details about the tape issue that went unanswered:
tape-f29/feature-request-add-first-last ... 39276.html

If Veeam is not interested in adding this feature that is fine I would just like a response that a Veeam staff member has read it and either flat out denies it or if you prefer use company speak and say "Thank you for your request, we will have our staff consider this in a future update" then sweep it under the rug. Just looking for some kind of acknowledgment that you have seen the problem of using a script to solve this backup scheduling issue will only then create more issues when tying this backup to secondary backup jobs and then still have no interest in adding this as a feature.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Shawn. I have read it and will prioritize this enhancement among other pending ones according to the amount of requests. Thanks!
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast

Post by ShawnKPERS »

Thank you for the confirmation response.
smurugun
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Murugan S

[MERGED] Active Full on Last day of every month

Post by smurugun »

Hi All,

i need to create active full backup on the Last day of every month.

in the Storage TAB on create Job option, i will have only create the Active full with Weekdays. so i couldn't make it for Last Day of the Month.

also i need to keep only one restore point (VBK - Active full) for the month due to storage size. then i will clone to tape each month as Monthly Backup Tape Copy.

can anyone help me to achieve this.
Thanks,
Murugan. S
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [MERGED] Active Full on Last day of every month

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

smurugun wrote:in the Storage TAB on create Job option, i will have only create the Active full with Weekdays. so i couldn't make it for Last Day of the Month.
This can be done with the hep of the script, please see above.
smurugun wrote:also i need to keep only one restore point (VBK - Active full) for the month due to storage size. then i will clone to tape each month as Monthly Backup Tape Copy.
You will need to have space for at least one more full backup, since retention is applied at the end of the job.