Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Backup Window terminates health check

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

One of the new features with v9 is the ability to do a health check on primary backup jobs. Most of my backup jobs are set to terminate if they exceed the backup window, just in case the jobs get stuck. I have health checks scheduled monthly, and for a few of the jobs, the health check takes more than 24 hours to run. Veeam will terminate the health check and try again the next day, and then terminate it again every day until I disable the option to terminate the job if it exceeds the backup window.

I believe that the backup window option should only terminate the job if the job is actually touching the production system, and it should not do so if the job is running a merge, health check or defrag/compact. Not sure if this is a bug or an intentional behavior?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Window terminates health check

Post by foggy »

The behavior is intentional for merge, compact, and health check operations. Otherwise the backup schedule is affected.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

Ok consider this a feature request to add the ability to modify the behavior so the backup window doesn't apply to those operations :)
glamic26
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by glamic26 » 1 person likes this post

We have also just hit this problem and would like to second the feature request to allow more granular options about what a backup window would stop. For me the reason for it is to prevent snapshots on VMs during working hours however merge, compact, and health check operations on the dedicated backup storage is allowed and in fact actively encouraged to occur during the day when the backups aren't running. Furthermore it would be good to be able to schedule compacts and health checks separately to the backup job so that we could run these during the day rather than them following on from the end of the backup job.