Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Customizing Enterprise Manager

Post by RubinCompServ »

Is there any way to customize the roles available in the Enterprise Manager? I want some users to be able to run backups and see backup jobs, but only for the servers that they have access to. If I make a user a Restore Operator, they only see "their" VMs, but can only perform restores and have no visibility into the status of the backup job. However, if I make the user a Portal User, they can see the all of the backup jobs, even though I've limited their scope to a specific subset of servers. Is there any way to create a middle ground?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Customizing Enterprise Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi David,

Currently, this is not possible, but can you please tell us if you're providing these backup servers to your external clients or all this is done within your own company?

Thanks!
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

We would like to allow some of our vCloud customers access to manage their own backups. Installing a Veeam server for each customer is not feasible as multiple customers share a single vCenter. We were hoping that we could use the Enterprise Plus version of Enterprise Manager to provide them access, but "Restore Operator" doesn't give them access to see their own job or run an ad-hoc backup, and "Portal User" gives them access to see ALL of the backups jobs.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Hi David,
if you want to offer backup self-service capabilities to your vcloud director users, Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 has the new vCloud Director self-service portal, I blogged about it a few months ago:
https://www.veeam.com/blog/enhanced-vmw ... pport.html
This is designed exactly for what you are looking for, as access to resources is automatically managed using vcloud native multi-tenancy.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, in this case take a look at Luca's blog and this UG > Working with VMware vCloud Director
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Post by btmaus »

I don't have or make use of vCloud Director, and I have the Enterprise Edition of VBR 9.5. I want to create a group for my DBA team, so they can only restore SQL Databases for their servers, and not see other servers or have permissions to restore anthing other than SQL databases, but it seems like this is not possible? Is there a way to achieve this?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Glenn,

Can you have a look at this? It explains how to create a user or group and then select the correct permissions. I believe this should be doing what you want

Mike
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Post by btmaus »

Thanks Mike, I did find that article shortly after posting my question. So it looks like with the "Enterprise" license I have, I cannot limit the virtual machines that the DBA's will see. Disappointing that I need to pay for a "Plus" license to do this, doesn't seem very "Enterprise" to me ...