Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Veeam v5 super fast!

Post by m.novelli »

I've updated a customer from Veeam 4.1.2 to Veeam 5.0 and the incremental backup window decreased from 6 - 8 hours to just 2 - 2.30 hours!!! Full backup decreased from 40 - 48 hours to 17 - 20!!! Woooooaaaaa :D

I've set both compression and dedupe to best settings and I've seen huge performance improvements on the Exchange 2007 VM (incremental backup from 2.30 hours to 1 hour) and on the File Server VM (incremental backup from 4 hours to 1 hour)!

vSphere version and Veeam Backup server are unchanged (vSphere 4.0 U2 and Veeam Backup installed on a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine with 4 vCPU Intel E5620)
The storage is based on two Dell MD3000 iSCSI with mixed SAS and SATA hard drives
The Vmware Infrastructure is based on a cluster of 3 Dell PowerEdge 2950 (Intel E5460 processors) plus one Dell R710 (Intel E5620 processors)

Marco
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam v5 super fast!

Post by Gostev »

Hi Marco, thanks for sharing! I am interested in some more information if possible please?

- Did you re-create new jobs on v5, or just continued existing?
- Job processing mode (Direct SAN or Virtual Appliance)
- Approx. source data size and VBK sizes for each job
- Average increments size for each job

It would be great to have detailed stats along with specific hardware, many of our customers and partners are asking for this kind of data.

Thanks!
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

- I've used the same job, but modified it to incremental backup (.VIB) and run a new full backup
- Virtual Appliance mode
- source data size 3.89 TB, backupped size 1 TB (but one new File Server VM is almost empty, total real data should be around 1,8 - 2 TB)
- about 50 - 60 GB for .VIB files each day with compression and dedupe set to Best. With Veeam 4.1.2 the .VRB where around 100 - 120 GB with Optimal compression

Marco
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Marco, thanks for additional details.