Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jlehtinen
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: John Lehtinen

Replicas Power On in Safe Mode

Post by jlehtinen »

Question for you: when I power on replicas I have taken using Veeam B/R 5, they start in Safe Mode the first time they are powered on (windows server 2003). I have to reboot them once to get them to work normally. Is this normal?

Here’s the setup:

We have two ESX hosts running ESX 4.1, one is production, the other is off-site DR connected via a 10mbps WAN link. Veeam B/R 5 is running in a VM on the off-site ESX host.

I am taking hot replicas of the running production VM’s, which are transferred to and stored on the off-site DR ESX host. The replication jobs complete successfully.

I test the replicas using the process described here: http://www.virtualizationteam.com/veeam ... edure.html

When I power on the VM, it starts in Safe Mode, and prompts me that the computer was not shut down properly. I have to reboot once to get the server up properly.

Any advice or tips?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Replicas Power On in Safe Mode

Post by Gostev »

jlehtinen wrote:When I power on the VM, it starts in Safe Mode
Is it domain controller?
jlehtinen wrote:and prompts me that the computer was not shut down properly.
This is normal.
jlehtinen
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: John Lehtinen

Post by jlehtinen »

Gostev, Thanks for the fast reply.

Yes, this particular VM IS a domain controller.

1.) Is this something specific to domain controllers? Should I be doing the replication or power-on differently?
2.) I also noticed when I power on the replica the first time, vmware asks me if I moved or copied the VM - I've been answering "copied" - is that correct?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

1. You should not be doing the replication or power-on differently. Non-authoritative restore of domain controller requires booting it in safe mode before performing actual restore, which is what our application-aware processing logic performs automatically for you. For more on that application-aware processing, see FAQ.

2. You should choose moved, otherwise UUID and MAC address will be regenerated.
leiw
Expert
Liked: never

Post by leiw »

Hello

Since we were using version 4 for replication and tested failover replicated domain controller started will go into safe mode.
Now the version 4 upgraded to version 5 and it auto selected application-aware processing option, will it effect effect the VM from upgrade ?

Thanks !
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

This behaviour hasn't been changed in v5.