Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mchoiniere
Novice
Liked: never

Best way to transfer backup data

Post by mchoiniere »

Hello,

I want to transfer all my backup data to another storage medium to be able to reformat the current one to refs. I'm using reverse incrementals for all backup jobs. I would of started a copy on the weekend and then copy only the changes until I was ready to make the move. The problem is that with reverse incrementals, the full backup is modified at every backup, which makes my incremental copy not feasible. I was thinking about changing all my backups to forever incremental that way the full won't change anymore and I will only copy the increments. Once I'm ready I will start a new backup chain on the new repository. I could manually load the backup in Veeam if I would need them and delete them once I have recreated all my backups according to the retention policy.

Is this a good way to go ?

Thanks.

Marco.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Best way to transfer backup data

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Marco,

Forever forward incremental doesn’t mean that Full won’t change anymore.
It depends on retention policy and every time when RPs counter exceeded, oldest increment will be injected to the Full.

I would recommend you to use simple forward incremental mode. In this scenario you will be able to copy the most recent increment everyday until you decide to switch to new repository (or synthetic full if it occurs).

Thanks!
mchoiniere
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Best way to transfer backup data

Post by mchoiniere »

Thanks for the answer !

Marco